Chapter Three

Cassie

'Cassie?' Somebody whispered.

'Cassie wake up!' that same somebody yelled, immediately snapping me out of my sleep. I must have jumped all the way off my chair in fright, for I was now on the floor of my English classroom – that or, in the middle of the lesson, I decided to get down on the floor and take a nap (something I find highly unlikely).

'THE SQUARE ROOT OF PIE IS EQUAL TO 1.77245385.' I yelled out automatically, receiving loud snickers from my class.

Note to self: the next time you fall asleep, make sure your automatic response matches the lesson you're in.

'Congratulations you're good at Maths.' Mr Clarke said, smiling sarcastically at me before adding 'The only thing is; we're in English, so I suggest you pick your head up off of your desk, and pay as much attention to me as you would your maths teacher.'

I would point out how wrong that last statement was, but I am a model student who aims to avoid suspension at all costs.

'I'm so sorry sir!' I exclaimed.

Apparently when I say "avoid suspension at all costs" I mean apologise even though I'm not actually sorry.

'Detention, after school, today.' He said, simply.

You know, why do I even bother insincerely apologising when this is what happens?

'I would, but I can't, I have to prepare myself mentally for Skype with Lo- ' I began before realising what I was, stupidly, about to say. 'You know what if you really want alone time with me that badly, that's fine. I'll be there.' I said, quickly covering up my almost mistake, whilst subtly making him look bad at the same time.

Just the way I like it.

I hate it when teachers blame children for falling asleep in class, like there are so many contributing factors that could lead to a sleepy child. For example, they could have stayed up all night studying, or looking after their younger siblings, or speaking to a member of a world famous boy band. They just don't understand.

The school bell rings, snapping me out of my reverie and signalling the end of the school day.

'WOO, DETENTION TIME YEAH.' I screamed sarcastically, before pointing at Mr. Clarke 'You better be excited for a whole hour of this.' I said, gesturing towards myself, while wiggling my eyebrows.

The rest of my class laughed loudly as they filed out of the classroom, while Mr Clarke sat in his classroom chair, gripping the bridge of his nose in annoyance.

I whipped out my cellphone, still looking at him with my dancing eyebrows, and pressed number one on my speed dial.

'Hello?' she answered.

'Hey mom, don't fetch me today, I have detention, so I'll walk home later, okay?' I said, calmly, trying not anger her with the fact that I have detention.

'What did you do this time?' She asked in return, clearly not at all surprised by my announcement.

I don't know whether to feel overjoyed, or deeply offended by the fact that she isn't the slightest bit surprised. What does that say about me? Other than that I have really cool parents who understand that in order to develop as a human being I have to make a few mistakes.

'Imayormaynothavefallenasleepinclass.' I said quickly, without a single breath of air in between words. Probably not a good idea, as I'm feeling really out of breath right now.