4

Park Sungjin POV

I watched as Myung Ki ran around lively like the bright kid she was. I have developed more than a teacher status towards her. I felt like I had this fathership role of her even though we're just cousins. The Kim family was perfect even though they went through certain circumstances. A few that would traumatised someone so harshly that they wouldn't mind meeting the Grim Reaper.

Her sister, their gemstone, their pure little angel. Mi Yung. That name brought tears to my eyes. Her death was so simple yet, tragic. She climbed from the top building with Myung Ki, originally falling to their death with her younger sister for personal reasons. From what I heard, Myung Ki wanted to flee, she wanted to live so she pulled herself from Mi Yung but Mi Yung fell backwards.

The office building was taken down after a viral video of the poor girl falling to her death. People were protesting for her innocent life and caused a huge fight for not having strict security, especially on the roof. Many suspected Myung Ki pushed her but I refuse to believe the rumours. 

No one knew why the 14-Year-Old left all of a sudden. What was the reason? She had everything she wanted. Top in school, talented, beautiful and she represented our school as for Swimming competition. She maintained the first place for years, ever since she was offered the opportunity to represent the school. Everyone would die to be in her place. Perfect figure, perfect mindset, perfect grades and a whole perfect soul.

The officers questioned Myung Ki but her mouth was sealed. She couldn't utter a single sound or a word. It was a valid reason for a kid. She witnessed her own biological sister literally suicide. Her classmates knew very well about what happened but everyone just kept quiet. It was a sensitive topic to be brought up all of a sudden.

I could still remember vividly the days when I taught Mi Yung. She had the brightest smile. She was the mood setter in the class. I remembered how she would accept her results silently. Ever since she left, the class was nothing but dead silence. No one dared to spoke. The principal pitied us. Once the class I taught graduated, I was transfered to another grade which was Primary 3 to help my mentality. (A/N : guys i dont know how the school system worKS ANYMORE)

"Yah Myung Ki!"

"For the last time, I am NOT going to give you back the plushie. You don't deserve it!"

"Stop fighting!" I stepped in the fight. Myung Ki had a plushie in her hands while Nini tried to pry it off her.

"You know what? You don't even deserve to live," I stood there, frozen. Everyone gasped. Nini stood there, somewhat comfortable with her answer. She tried to reach out for Myung Ki but she was immediately rejected. Myung Ki threw the bear onto the mud before laughing bitterly.

"Honestly, you're right. I don't deserve to live. I didn't want to live. Not with  people who would see me as Mi Yung, not as Myung Ki. I'm glad we could agree on something," She smiled before stepping on the plushie with her dirty shoes.

"Just because your sister is dead doesn't mean you can use it as an excuse to get attention and sympathy! It's simply not fair!"

"Nini, stop," I firmly spoke but she ignored me.

"You know what isn't fair? Being blamed for things you didn't do and everyone turning their backs against you just because of a little stupid rumour. Open your eyes Nini, the world isn't fucking fair," Once again, everyone gasped and started murmuring amongst themselves. I've had enough.

"Everyone, follow me," I looked at both Nini and Myung Ki. Everyone reluctantly followed me to a much brighter grass patch than the one we stood at. I sat down and crossed my legs.

"I am not picking sides. Yes, Nini you are at fault for bringing up a sensitive topic and Myung Ki, you are at fault for foul language. But, I am not going to just bluntly scold you. No one will get any benefits from it," I calmly said. Values are just as important as education.

"Listen here. Life just doesn't care about our aspirations, or sadness. It's often random, and it's often stupid and it's often completely unexpected, and the closures and the epiphanies and revelations we end up receiving from life, begrudgingly, rarely turn out to be the ones we thought," Everyone tilted their heads in confusion.

"What I'm trying to say is. Life is unfair and that's it. You can't change the way life treats you. No one can. This brings me to another point and value called, respect."

"Did you really think the Kings and Queens does nothing and was just given that royal title? No! They had leadership. They cared for their kingdom and did something speechless. That's why everyone respects them for what they did," I explained. They moved their head in motion and nodded in agreement. One raised their hands and I pointed at him, letting him proceed with the question.

"So are you trying to tell us that we should be Kings and Queens?" Some laughed but he kept a serious face. I smiled, resting my hands on the soft grass patch.

"Sure, if you want to be. Don't claim to be someone without a desire. Don't be someone foreign and far from who you are actually meant to be. Don't just walk into the war without any weapons."

"..But," Myung Ki finally uttered a word.

"Who needs weapons when you can use your mouth to protest? They always say 'Words cut deeper than a knife'. Why have violence when you can discuss about the situation? Mr Sungjin? What are we supposed to do? Fight with weapons or fight with words?" Everyone kept silent. I liked talking about values. Everyone gets to reflect on their actions. By everyone, I included myself too. I thought for a while before smiling softly.

"Don't fight fire with fire."

"Mr Sungjin! You're making me confused again!"

"Welcome to the Cruel Society. Where everything is confusing and questionable."

--
Yoon Dowoon POV

I dived in the water, feeling the familiar tingling in the pit of my stomach. The feeling of a burning sensation filled me. I felt so alive. I smiled and sucked it the water unexpectantly, choking. I opened my eyes and it immediately burned. I looked at the surface which was brighter. I touched the tiles and pushed my body, doing a small flip.

I swam upwards and ran my hands through my hair, breathing heavily. I heard a few claps, whistling and a few cat calls. I opened my eyes and saw everyone looking at me.

"Yoon Dowoon," I looked back to see Park Jin Young, shocked. It was hard to make him shock but these days, the smallest things flattered him. We all think he found love but I think he found where the best rice cake soup shop is.

"I hired you to work as a lifeguard, not as a model," His strict self returned once again, crushing my hopes of him changing. He walked to his office and minded his business like he was originally doing. If I had wish to change his personality, it would be his attitude. He's too strict. I sighed and pulled myself up and away from the swimming pool. Wonpil approached me with a towel in his hand.

"Yah, there's girls looking at you now. Go and get me some grandkids," He winked, slapping my butt. I gasped. Did this irritating yet, cute feminine and masculine little slug ass brat touched me? Especially my precious booty?!

"Go and get me some talent before telling me to get kids," I winked back, mocking his voice. He whacked my head and went back to his post with a visible pout. I chuckled before climbing mine. I rested my head on my palm while having a small smile on my face. I closed my eyes, enjoying the sounds of the small splashes and screams. Once again, I was brought into the dreamworld. Except.. A quick flash of a girl's face was in the back of my mind.