April 29, 2014

The knock on the door gives me an excuse to stop twiddling my thumbs. Standing from the couch, I smooth my dress down. I saunter over to the door, looking through the peek hole. Michael stands there, not looking too particularly dressed up.

My dress wasn’t exactly fancy. It was more casual and I matched it with a pair of Vans, hoping it would be enough for wherever we went. Michael didn’t seem to be dressed up at all, actually dressed like it was a normal day. He had on tight black jeans and a black tank top. The center of the shirt had the Green Day logo for the album American Idiot.

“I thought I was supposed to dress up?” I wondered aloud.

Michael shrugged, shifting his weight. “No, no, I told you to dress nicely. I never said you had to dress up. I figured you would dress nicely anyway, but…” His eyes graze over me.

I smooth down my dress again at the look he was giving me. He continued, “You look great.”

“Thank you,” I tucked a piece of hair behind my ear.

He held out an arm, “Are you ready?”

I took it, sliding my arm through his so our elbows linked. “As ready as I’ll ever be.”

Michael led us away from the elevators, back down towards his room. I didn’t question him. I didn’t know what was going on, but I didn’t say anything. Michael pushed open his front door, which had been left unlocked.

“It’s not much, but I figured it might be nice just to have a night in, ya know?” He lets me go in first. I’m hesitant, taking small steps. Not knowing where I was supposed to go always made me question each step.

Michael puts an arm around my shoulder. He definitely wasn’t uncomfortable with personal space. “Pick some movies; I’ve got to get the food ready.”

He pointed me towards the entertainment center. There was a library of movies on the shelves. I moved over towards it, sitting on the ground so I could view them without strain. There were some titles that stuck out to me. I noted a lot of Marvel movies, which I was very excited about. There were a lot of other ones that I didn’t know. The one I picked I knew, it was one of my favorites.

I had put the movie in before Michael returned. I could hear the microwave going but he didn’t have any food with him. He smiled, peering down at the case in my hands.

World War Z? That’s my favorite zombie movie of all time.” Michael seemed pleased as a smile spread across his cheeks.

“Mine too, I noticed you had a bunch of Marvel, I love Marvel movies. Which superhero is your favorite?” I was truly interested, but it was something that could start a conversation.

“Oh god,” Michael plopped onto the couch. He rubbed his temple as if it would help him think. “I’ve got to go classic, Captain America.”

“Yes! Me too, did you see The Winter Soldier?” I am practically jumping with excitement.

“No, not yet, don’t ruin it for me.” He points an accusing finger at me.

I groan, “I’ve got to make you watch it with me.”

The microwave goes off and Michael scurries back into the kitchen. I follow him, trying to figure out what I was supposed to be eating. Michael catches me following, shooing me away.

I trail back over and sit down on the couch. I hear Michael yell out profanities and a plate crashing to the counter.

“Is everything alright?” I shout back.