Chapter XIX

While Roman didn't have an electric guitar, he had an acoustic one. He pulled it out of its case, tuning it quickly before beginning to play. A sigh escaped his lips as he strummed the notes of a familiar song. It happened to be by Virgil's band, Anxious Storms, Malicious Roses, and it was on of his only real love songs. Glancing at the clock, he put the guitar away and carried it out to his car. Once he was ready to go, he put the address into his navigation system and headed for the band's rehearsal space.

The closer he got, the more nervous he felt. He'd done his homework, but Roman couldn't help but be scared to mess up. It didn't feel real; he was actually going to be playing music with Virgil and his band.

Is this a good idea? the actor wondered. Should I be trying this during my break from theatre and film? This isn't just dabbling in music, this is filling in for a world famous band, with someone I used to be madly in love with, scratch that, am still madly in love with. Will this help or harm my mental health?

Roman wasn't given anymore time to think about it, pulling into the parking lot of the studio. He swallowed nervously, parking his car and heading inside with his guitar. There were a bunch of unfamiliar faces, all moving with a purpose or busily working on something. The princely man was beyond flustered as he read the studio number on his card again, trying to find his way.

"Roman?"

His head snapped up upon hearing a familiar voice. He sighed in relief, smiling. "Thank god, I have no idea what I'm doing," he told Virgil, rubbing the back of his neck nervously. The darkly dressed man jerked his head in a way that said to follow him. He led him to their space, which was huge and had so many instruments he couldn't count them all. "Wow, you guys really have been doing well!"

"Yeah, we've been fortunate..." Virgil managed in response, voice quiet.

The actor looked toward him, feeling his heart sink. "Regretting this already?" he asked with a sigh. "I can go, Virgil. If you're not comfortable with this, you don't need to do this."

"No, I'm fine, and we have a concert in two days, so I don't really have a choice," the rockstar said, sitting down. "That's not what I meant though... sorry, I'm just stressed about the tour. Okay, come over here so I can make sure you know what you're doing."

He handed Roman an electric guitar, tuning his own. The instrument felt foreign in his hands, having not truly played in years. The actor sat down next to him, testing out the guitar. Within twenty minutes, he began to wonder where the other members were.

"Hey Virge, where's the rest of the band?" he asked.

The rockstar laughed, looking at him with a head shake. "I told you to come a few hours early so I could make sure you didn't make a fool of yourself in front of the others," he explained, smirking.

"Oh, ha ha ha," Roman replied sarcastically, rolling his eyes. "I wouldn't do that."

"Sure," Virgil said with a laugh, looking at him with a smile.

For a moment, both of their hearts stopped. Roman's stopped because of the way he was looking at him. He had that soft smile and affectionate eyes. That's how he used to look at you... he thought. There's that look... that look you should've acting on seeing before. It's right there. It's been almost seven years since you've seen it, and there it is.

A small breath escaped Virgil's lips as he looked at the princely man in shock. They'd only been alone together for twenty minutes and he felt like his chest was going to burst.

"Uh, so... you were showing me the chords?" Roman managed, voice shaking as he played the wrong one.

The darkly dressed man reached out instinctively, stopping his hand. "That's not right..." he said quietly. He guided his hand to the correct chord, looking up to meet his eyes. "There..."