Chapter II

Of all of Virgil's nervous habits, the one Roman was the most fond of was his tapping. He thought he was strange for liking the relentless noise of his pencil or fingernails hitting whatever surface was under his attack at the moment, but the way he did it made it seem like it was on purpose. It was as if he was trying to tap out a beat to a song or a melody, perhaps articulating lyrics from his mind. He knew of his songwriting though he'd never let him read any of his work. That wasn't to say he didn't ask, beg, and plead to see it.

Roman had literally begged on his knees to read his lyrics. He'd read a few of his poems from the past, given that Virgil would enter in competitions that would get his work published in a local newspaper, and he knew that he was incredible with words. He wanted to hear him sing, specifically singing his own lyrics the way they were intended with the emotions they represented. He'd overheard him humming or singing under his breath, but he wanted to see him perform.

Until the time came that he could see that, he had to settle for watching him fondly from the desk a row over. There was a smile on the princely boy's lips as he watched him tapping his fingers against his notebook. Virgil had his headphones on, given that they had some free time at the last fifteen minutes of their class before lunch. The emo was sketching as he moved slightly to whatever song he was listening. This was Roman's favorite game to play: guess the song based on the tapping.

He watched his fingers, mimicking them; he counted two regular taps before a stream of quick ones that ended in a slightly syncopated rhythm before a pause. After the brief pause were three regular taps before three slower taps and a clearly emphasized fourth before another stream of quick taps.

Roman watched as the melody repeated, gaze travelling to his own fingers as he attempted to decipher it. A grin crossed his face as he figured it out. Really Virgil? "I Write Sins Not Tragedies"? he thought with a slight eye roll as he leaned on his hand to continue watching him draw. 

It was no secret to the princely boy that he was in love with his friend. He'd been crushing on him since elementary school, but was never confident enough to make a move. Now they were in high school and Roman was almost certain he'd never return his romantic feelings. They were more or less something for him to just enjoy having while at the same time being something he kept to himself. He could do these things, like smile fondly at him when his attention was elsewhere, or pick up on his little ticks and habits, loving every single one of them but never telling him so. His affection for the emo made his chest warm, which was enough for him. 

The bell made him snap out of his thoughts, blinking several times in realization that Virgil had stood up and was looking at him expectantly. He flashed him a smile as he met his gaze before quickly gathering his belongings. 

Joining him in the hallway, he began to make conversation as they headed to lunch together. "So what were you drawing?" Roman asked him casually, hoping he'd show him once they sat down. 

"Just some shitty doodles, if I'm honest," the darkly dressed boy said with a shrug as they sat down together at their table awaiting their friends. Despite claiming they were shitty doodles, he flipped to the page in his sketchbook and handed it to Roman anyway. The princely boy grinned at the drawing. "What?"

He flipped it around to point at it. "Was this, by any chance, inspired by a certain Panic! At The Disco song?" he said with a knowing tone. "Perhaps one about a certain groom's bride who happens to be a whore?"

"What- How the hell did you know I was listening to that?!" Virgil asked as his eyes widened. He took the sketchbook back from him, cheeks dusted pink with slight embarrassment. "Seriously, how the hell did you know that?"

"I'm a magical prince, Virge, I just know," Roman teased, tapping the tip of his nose playfully before turning to face forward. Logan and Patton entered the cafeteria, the neck-tie wearing junior murmuring something into his boyfriend's ear that made him giggle. They were holding hands as well, making the princely boy smile at them as they sat down at their table. "Greetings lovebirds, how have your days been so far?"

The two of them explained that their days had been very average, and that they were looking forward to the weekend already. "Logan's going to take me out on a mystery date this Saturday!" Patton gushed excitedly as he looked at his boyfriend for confirmation. He nodded, straightening his glasses with a slight smile. "I can't wait! What about you two? Any plans?"

"I think I'll just take it easy this weekend," the princely boy said before turning to the emo beside him. "What about you, Virgil?"

He froze, wondering if he should tell them; Virgil had received an email while they were in class this morning from the guy he knew at who worked for the record label that was trying to make their album real. For the past year, he'd been working on lyrics and instrumentals with his band while he waited and got updates on what the label wanted to do with them. This morning he'd found out they wanted to have them record their album this weekend in one of their studios, the one closest to their town. He'd been freaking out about it in his head for the past three hours, trying not to think of everything that could go wrong, attempting to focus on all the positive outcomes. If things went well, his band would have an album out in a month or less. 

He didn't say any of this, shrugging the question as he searched his bag for something sugary. "Aw, I forgot to pack any candy, damn," Virgil muttered, disappointed as he closed his bag with a frown.

"Oh! Here, have one of my mini Hersey bars!" Roman offered with a sweet smile that made his heart lurch.

I wish you knew just how much I love you, he thought before he could stop himself as he took the candy from him, their fingers brushing as he did so. That touch... that touch is probably nothing to him, meaningless, the brush of a friend's fingers against his own, simply that... and yet my skin still feels it. The skin of my entire hand feels electrified before a simple, mindless touch. He doesn't even know what he's doing to me.

"Virgil? Hello? Earth to the emo!" someone called, snapping their fingers in front of his face to get his attention. He snapped out of it, focusing on that someone who turned out to be Roman. He blinked at the princely boy as he chuckled at him. "Geez, you've been really distracted lately, are you feeling okay?"

Virgil nodded quickly, not wanting to raise concern despite a sinking feeling settling over him. The wave was sudden, pulling him down before he could take a deep breath. He stood up quickly, blinking and panting as he mumbled an excuse about going to the bathroom before hurrying away from the table. 

It came from no where, as it sometimes did. He ran into the largest bathroom stall, locking the door behind him before he pressed himself against the wall. Biting his lip, he slid down until he was seated on the dirty tile of the floor, sucking in sharp breaths as he fought back a panic.

Everything just felt so heavy all of a sudden. Virgil took in deep breaths, able to gain his composure after five minutes of shaking and shivers. He sighed heavily as the attack passed, feeling the sudden pressure on his chest disappear gradually. This was a part of him he despised, his attacks that came from nowhere seemingly caused by nothing. He knew there was rationally nothing to be this worried about, but it was something he simply couldn't help. 

He pressed his head against the wall as it passed completely, wondering why he was made this way. Thank god Roman's never seen me like this at least, Virgil thought as he stared at the ceiling. I don't even want to try and explain this to him. I doubt he'd understand even though he'd want to help me.

Standing shakily, he checked his appearance in the mirror, making sure he didn't look too disgruntled before heading back out to face his friends with a smile that took a little more effort than the ones prior to it.