Chapter Six: Respite (1)

The few days on the s.h.i.+p were the most peaceful since Ling Qingyu appeared in this world. After crossing over, she had been overwhelmed by changes that occured one after another. Her mother's pa.s.sing filled her heart with anger and sadness. Even though she crossed over from another world, this world's mother looked the same as her own. More so, she had inherited the previous owner's memories. During their brief time together, the mother focused on how her daughter could live a better life, even as her own health was declining. This love of a parent for her child quickly merged the two different mothers in Ling Qingyu's mind. In the end, she could not protect her mother from dying of anger. Ling Qingyu felt an angry remorse that filled her heart with the thought of revenge.

Ling Qingyu spent all of her time in the cabin. Even food was brought over by Shan Yao. She silently focused all of her attention on planning.

These actions gave Shan Yao an even more favorable impression of this quiet little miss. Considering the presence of her master and the sixth young master, many servant girls were having lively thoughts. Two days ago, Shan Yao worried that this little miss might do something inappropriate. Who could have thought that she wouldn't take a single step out the door. This made her mission of watching the girl much easier. So, when Ling Qingyu followed Zheng Xi off the s.h.i.+p and bowed once again, Shan Yao informed her, "My master is the new director of the Quan Province Maritime Affairs Department. You can find me at the Fan mansion in the future."

Ling Qingyu thanked her. "Thank you sister Shan Yao. If I can be of any a.s.sistance in the future, please let me know as well." She grabbed a few more silver ingots and gave them to Shan Yao. Waving her hand, she jumped off the s.h.i.+p's docking plank.

Ling Qingyu held a list that detailed goals she wanted to accomplish. As she read, she murmured, "Find a small house to settle down." She raised her head and looked at the house in front of her. It was not big; only three main rooms and two side rooms. There was also a stock room and a kitchen. The courtyard contained a huge tree. Its branches were like clouds that sheltered the courtyard from the burning sun. Underneath the tree also stood a stone table and four stone stools. In the west corner of the courtyard, there was an old well. The courtyard itself was covered with bluestone. The entire yard was small, but clean and tidy.

Ling Qingyu nodded in satisfaction. She jotted down "one hundred liang" after the item on her list. Then she continued reading, "Find the Aeolus and ask about how to obtain a license for sea s.h.i.+pping. Query prices. Find crew. Buy commodities. Draw a navigation chart. Hmm. I did this already."

She placed a map on the table in the courtyard. She started creating this map from the moment she had the desire to partic.i.p.ate in maritime trade. Using many years of sailing experience, she drew the world map with islands, ocean currents, and monsoons; along with longitude and lat.i.tude. She also labeled foreign port names that Zheng Xi was able to learn and those from her own memory. Since she was afraid of people stealing this information, everything was written in pinyin or simplified characters.

Ling Qingyu checked the map carefully for omissions. Even though it's a parallel world, there could be differences in land ma.s.ses and the divisions of countries. She was so focused on the map that she didn't notice Zheng Xi bringing someone into the courtyard to wait behind her.

"Is this Master Lin's navigation chart?"

"Ah!" Ling Qingyu jumped as she heard a deep voice sounding suddenly behind her back. She quickly rolled her map (it was definitely the right choice to use silk instead of paper!) and yelled, "Who is this thief! My big brother is about to be back. You better disarm and surrender!" She dodged behind the table, then saw that behind her, no, right now it is in front of her, that a man stood there, with a shocked expression, facing herself.