Chapter 4 - on the way there

"What's up?" I ask very, awkwardly. I'm trying to be quiet. And quick. There are people waiting for me to get out of the bathroom so they could pee.

"I wanted to apologize." He says. He is biting his lip. Holy shit. He is laying down on a bed, and he is just looking at me....

"What? About what?" I ask swallowing my saliva, still looking at him.

"About how things ended between us. I didn't fight for you. I didn't chase you, I didn't try to contact you, and I should've. Now it's too late. You have a boyfriend, and you are on a plane to Paris..." he says.

"Yeah.... but, it's fine now." I say.

I'm looking at him, and I know this is wrong. I shouldn't be talking to him. "I need to go. I'm sorry" I hang up as fast as I can. I flush the water, so people will think I actually used the toilet and I walk out.

He didn't get a chance to say something before I hung up, but that's for the best.

I walk back to my seat. Liam is watching a movie. He looks so peaceful.

"Shawn is calling you" He says. "What?" I ask surprised.

"Shawn is calling you" He says again. I look at my phone and I see Shawn is trying to FaceTime me again. I decline.

"Wait how do you have WiFi?" He asks.

Fuck. I bought the WiFi for Shawn, so I could talk to him. But now I feel bad for buying it. I shouldn't have talked to him. It was a mistake.

I don't know what to say. I'm just sitting there next to him, not answering. "He is calling you again" Liam says and he looks tired of me, disappointed.

He stands up and he walks away from me. "Where are you going?" I ask. "I don't know. To the bathroom" he says and he walks away.

I can't believe it. I'm so stupid. I need to move on. I can't let Shawn come back to my life all the time.

I put my headphones on again and I answer him,

"What?" I say. "Why did you hang up?" He asks.

"Shawn I can't do this. I'm sorry. I have a boyfriend and I can't talk to you anymore. Stop calling me." I say and I hang up.

I take my headphones off. I put my phone in my pocket and I walk to look for Liam. He can't go far. At the end of the day, we are still on a plane...

I see him talking to the flight attendant. "Hi" I say walking towards them.

"Hey" He says. "Hello, can I help you?" She asks.

"No. I'm good. Thank you" I say.

"What do you want?" He asks. "To talk to you, I want to explain. If I may" I say.

"Excuse me." He says to the flight attendant and he walks back to his seat. I sit next to him.

"Explain." He says. I sigh. "Ok."

"So, Shawn is one of my oldest friends." I started to say. "Than How come this is the first time I'm hearing his name?" He asks.

"Well.... we had a big fight last year. Close to my birthday. And we stopped talking." I say.

"Than why was he FaceTiming you?"

"Because, his birthday was last week. I called to wish him a happy birthday. And he texted me a few times since. But that doesn't mean we are back to being friends." I say. "It's completed" I add.

"So this Shawn guy, what happened between you two?" He asks.

I know Liam means good, but he doesn't want to hear what happened between us. It will just make him jealous, and probably very uncomfortable.

I just look at him, he is waiting for an answer, but I don't want to give it to him.

"What?" He asks. I can't tell him. I don't want to ruin anything.

"Talk to me, come on. You can trust me." He says.

"You know, most the time that I'm mad at you, is because I feel like you are hiding something. And like something is wrong and you don't want to tell me. Why can't you just, talk to me?" He looks mad. And hurt. And upset. He looks woeful.

"Nothing. We just had a fight, I don't really remember what it was. But it was big. And we stopped talking" I say.

I completely lied to him. I know exactly what happened and why I decided to stop talking to Shawn. But I can't tell him, it's not that I don't trust him. It's just that I don't want him to know we dated, sort of. He might think I still have feeling for him but I don't. I just miss my friend.