The Veil

Diya's P.O.V

The mirror was right in front of me, just that, I couldn't get myself to face it, just like I couldn't face anyone! I was adorned, with jewelry, make up, clothes and anything else that could hide the exasperation on my face, on my "special day".

 As I finally had the courage to look at the mirror, I saw my mother put down the veil, as she kissed me on my forehead and give me a consoling smile, it was as if I could hear her say "It will be alright!"

 I could see her eyes get watery as she wiped them, my aunts stood behind, while one of them held my mother's shoulder.

 I slowly get up, with all the people around me helping me to do so, it isn't really a happy mood when you don't have the time to mourn someone's absence! I saw Meeta's mom smile at me, as she came to hug me, I remained indifferent though, she gestured a thank you, but I just didn't flinch, I don't think you'd liked to be thanked for taking someone's place as a bride! 

I felt someone's hand up my waist, trying to push me to go further, I didn't bother to look at who it was. My aunt's and other relatives lined up to hug and kiss me as they realized that I had to walk away. The youngest of them, came up to me and whispered, "Know your worth, don't you dare let them blame you for something you haven't done" as she quickly popped a peck on my cheek.

 As I started walking, I felt numb, feeling everyone's eyes watching me. I quickly glanced at Arjun who had put on a serious face. I don't remember very much after that, just a few glimpses of the rituals during which I was just doing as instructed and the part after the rituals where we were supposed to touch the feet of the elders, when my dad hugged Arjun but didn't even look at me. My mom had tears rolling down her cheeks through out the ceremony and by the time we were supposed to leave, they had turned into waterworks! I wouldn't blame her, you can clearly expect this during an impromptu marriage ceremony, for me of course!

 I was broken from the inside, in fact I was in a total state of turmoil and maybe that's why I couldn't get myself to cry or maybe just because I hated crying, it made me feel really weak! After a rather 'emotional' farewell, I was seated in the car, Arjun sat beside me, his sister Shreya sat next to him and his brother Dev sat in the front seat, he had a rather large lot of siblings. 

The car strode away to a modest mansion as I groggily tried to stay awake, with no tears shed! Although in the car I could feel my eyes swelling up as I some how tried to push them back in, there was no space for tears in this situation! I Knew that this marriage didn't matter to me, I had my work, my friends and a life beyond all this, I just had to pretend to be invisible and stick it out.

INTRODUCTION TO CHARACTERS

Surya Prakash Gupta - chairperson Of Gupta industries, Meeta;s father, Diya's Bade papa/uncle

Nirmala Gupta- w/o Surya prakash gupta, Meeta's mother, Diya's badi maa/aunt

Chandra prakash gupta - brother of surya prakash gupta, Diya's father

Pratibha Gupta - w/o Chandraprakash gupta, Diya's mother

Meeta Gupta - Diya's cousin, daughter of surya prakash and nirmala

Diya Gupta - the protagonist

Aaryan Gupta - one of the other cousins

Manish Goenka - chairperson of Goenka's ltd

Sumitra Goenka - Wife of manish

Arjun Goenka - son of manish and sumitra

DEv goenka- brother of Arjun

Shreya- Arjun's sister

Akhil - Diya's ex

Aanchal - Arjun's ex

Kartik, manno, abhi - Diya's friends

Mehul - Arjun's best friend