2.1 | Truth Arc

Expulsion removed

Expulsion removed.

Katsuki walked to school alone with his mind wandering off to who-knew-where. His train of thoughts were interrupted by a cheerful voice he knew very well.

"Ah, Baku- Katsuki-kun! Do you take this path too?" Mai, seemingly out of breath asked as she placed her hand on his shoulder, her purple eyes on his.

Katsuki paused on the spot, surprised that Mai had touched him with her own free will. When he realized that he was keeping her waiting, he spoke.

''I've always fucking did. Don't you notice me?'' Katsuki's eyebrows creased naturally. Mai giggled. 

''Of course I do, It's definitely hard to not notice your hair being all over the place like that! Huh... Your hair is softer than it looks.'' Mai replied not long before she began touching his soft, explosion-like hair.

The two were finally in school grounds, but they were interrupted by the familiar, fatigued voice.

''Miyazaki. I'm removing your expulsion.''

Aizawa stood where the students were entering-- most of them ignoring him due to his ragged appearance. Mai looked stunned at the sudden demand. Katsuki knew that the two didn't really get along, especially after the USJ incident. Mai's usual smile faded and proceeded to ask the reason with caution.

''You aren't letting me off the hook, correct? There must be some deal.''

Aizawa spoke after listening to Mai. 

''Of course. You can stay at this academy, if you move out of the hero course.'' 

''Out of the hero course? As in... 1-C?''

''Yeah. You're moving there tomorrow, so enjoy this class while you can.'' Aizawa finished the conversation as he walked away as if nothing had happened. Mai stood there for a brief moment, trying to process what just happened. Katsuki heaved a sigh of relief as he ruffled Mai's hair with a somewhat pouty expression.

''Good for you, idiot.'' 

Mai stared straight into Katsuki's red eyes and giggled, gently grabbing onto Katsuki's wrist that had rested itself upon her hair.

***

Katsuki walked alongside Mai down the school halls casually. He knew that his class was definitely popular, but it was obvious that the packed halls of UA were turning their attention towards them. He figured that it was just small chatter and brushed it off, but then he heard a name that he did not want to hear.

''Hey, isn't that Mai Miyazaki of class 1-A?''

''Yeah, it's definitely her. That freak just walks up to anyone who passes by and hands them so-called flowers; only to mock them with some weeds. Like seriously? Just because we're in a lower class, doesn't mean we're stupid!''

''Oh! You know what's funny? Apparently she's getting moved down to 1-C!! We can give her a taste of her own medicine then!''

''Oh my gosh, really?! How bad was she to be moved down to the general course?''

''Haha, news to me! I heard that she has a mental disorder, makes it even easier to give back what she gave! Ha-''

Before the student could start laughing, his collar was grabbed by an infuriated Katsuki. His glaring, crimson eyes which showed no hostility towards Mai, now burned with a deathly stare which could probably kill.

''Shut your fucking mouth before I blow it up instead!'' 

The poor student was too petrified to even move. Katsuki noticed this and let go of the student's collar in anger.

Mai stood there, eyes averted to the ground as if ashamed to even stay in the spot. Katsuki grabbed her arm and led her to the classroom in silence.

''Katsuki-kun... Why do you need to protect someone you hate?'' Mai kept her eyes down as she asked him nervously.

Katsuki stopped in place and turned to face her. He was wearing a scowl as usual with no hostility. He reached out to Mai's chin and pulled it up, forcing her to look into Katsuki's red hues. Katsuki then flicked her in the forehead, causing Mai to yelp a bit and rub her forehead.

''Idiot, I don't hate you...'' The ash blonde paused after realizing what he was about to say to her. Embarrassed, he ran off into the classroom with a red face.

***

During lunchtime, Katsuki watched Mai being surrounded by the girls of 1-A. They seemed ecstatic, so he assumed that they had heard about the good news. His eyes travelled to the open door of the classroom, eventually landing on a suspicious looking student with pink hair and green eyes, crossing her arms, seemingly stalking Mai's every move. When their eyes met, he glared at her as usual, causing her to scurry off in fear of being exploded.

''That girl...'' Katsuki muttered after noticing her. He definitely had seen her somewhere before. Deep in thought, he watched Mai converse with her fellow peers.

''Why do I keep on  being around her? She's not even fucking special.''

Something. Just something about Mai's smile made him feel fuzzy inside. Maybe it wasn't just her smile, everything about her made Katsuki's heart tingle pleasantly. Mai seemed to help Katsuki Bakugou grow as a person. A single thought made its way into his head.

''Do I love that idiot?''

Katsuki found himself blushing after realizing what it came to and couldn't deny it. He definitely had feelings for Mai. He was just confused as to why? Did it really matter why? Does one need a reason to love another? He shook his head and grinned. His face at that very moment seemed so very gentle. Anyone who knew him would think that Katsuki's personality was swapped with Mai's, but that obviously wasn't the case. He was on cloud nine. He felt so at ease just watching Mai look so joyful.

***

''Katsuki-kun, the sports festival is in a week. How is your training going?'' Bakugou was walking home with Mai like usual after a week of his heart feeling relaxed at the thought of his feelings for Mai.

''It's going fine, I guess. How's the new class?'' He replied nonchalantly.

''It's quite normal. But is something the matter Katsuki-kun? You asked the same question for the past few days.'' Mai replied turning her eyes towards Katsuki with a questioning look.

''Nah, it's nothing.''

''But you've stopped swearing these days?''

''Huh?! No I fucking haven't!''

''Haha, there it is.''