3.3 | Love Arc

Katsuki's Frustration

Mai's limp body was being wheeled to an emergency room in a hurry, Katsuki was right beside the bed, holding onto Mai's ice-cold hand. He usually would find her naturally chilly temperature comforting, but this time, it scared him. He was afraid that if her body got any colder, she would become an iceberg and melt away.

''Sir, please let go.'' A doctor told Katsuki, prompting him to let go of her hand. If it were a different situation, Katsuki would have definitely rebelled and proceeded to yell, but this time, he hesitantly let go of her hand and watched the nurses hurriedly bring her into the operation room. 

Katsuki sat in front of the operation room for what felt like days. He didn't care if he was skipping class, he just prayed for Mai's health to recover. He clenched his fists, every second feeling painfully long. Continuing to look at his feet, he noticed a shadow in front of him and looked up to meet the eyes of Mai's elder brother. Katsuki immediately glared at him.

''...Jerk.'' The ash-blonde spat out quietly, just enough for the man to hear.

''Says the murderer.'' The brother returned, looking down on Katsuki's seemingly vulnerable figure. 

Katsuki stood up, enraged with the intention of yelling. However, before the words could escape his mouth he became conscious of the place he was at, it may have caused a commotion and disrupted the doctors performing Mai's surgery. The older brother eyed Katsuki as if surprised about something, his expression was sinister and distorted in a way.

"Eh? You're not going to curse me?"

Katsuki furrowed his brows and glared at the silver-haired and grumbled.

"The hell's wrong with that?''

The older brother crossed his arms and grinned mockingly, his tone filled with venom and clear malice. One glance at his face easily angered Katsuki, who did his best to hold back from using violence.

''Just figured that someone as scum as you would.''

''You--!'' Katsuki stood impulsively but was suddenly interrupted by a few familiar voices. The two classmates that were closest to Mai. 

''Bakugou-kun! Where's Mai-chan?! Is she still in the operating room?!'' Uraraka's panicked voice was heard, as she caught her breath. Beside her, Todoroki was wearing a concerned expression as his forehead was glistening with sweat. He noticed the silver-haired brother standing in front of Katsuki and warily eyed him as he spoke to Katsuki.

''...Why is this man here?''

Katsuki's bubbling rage was calmed slightly as he responded.

''The hell if I know. He doesn't give a shit about her.'' He spat, glaring at the man. Shuu snorted as he laid his purple eyes on the two-toned.

''Shouto, huh... Didn't think you'd even remember the girl. Considering your family situation.'' He was clearly provoking him. Todoroki flinched but kept quiet. Uraraka noticed the tense atmosphere and tried to calm them down.

''U-Um... I think it would be good if you didn't start a fight here... The doctors need concentration--''

''Is Bakugou-san still here?'' An middle-aged doctor that Katsuki had met up with a few hours ago walked out of the operation room. Katsuki quickly faced the doctor and clenched his fists nervously, as if forgetting the hostility from before.

''Ah, there you are. Let's see... The surgery was a success and Miyazaki-san will regain consciousness and her memories will be intact.''

Uraraka and Todoroki heaved a sigh of relief and their posture relaxed dramatically. Shuu stared into space blankly and silently and walked off. Katsuki would have done the same as the other two students, if not for the very troubled expression the man wore.

''But--'' The doctor added, a grave expression visible.

The man's voice echoed through the minds of the three students, their bodies stiff once more and their faces filled with dread. Uraraka began to sob and soon tears poured out. Todoroki averted his gaze to the ground in silence, his expression not visible. Katsuki flinched and his knuckles were white from him clenching too hard. His coarse voice filled the silent room shakily.

''...Mai...'' 

Just saying her name made his chest tighten and fill him with many emotions. Saying her name felt new and warmed his heart differently than usual.

***

It had been a few days since the surgery. The news was spread to the students in class 1-A and everyone had scheduled to visit in their own time.