2.3 | Truth Arc

A New Side

A New Side

It was finally the time. The day of the Sports Festival had come!

After the incident, Mai didn't seem to be present at school. Being the hot-headed guy he was, Katsuki showed his worry in an aggressive way, picking on Todoroki asking him every 10 minutes if he knew what had happened to Mai. He would've gone to her house, but unfortunately, he didn't have her address. 

Katsuki got ready for the event and sat himself down. He felt his heart pump loudly against his PE uniform at the single thought of Mai. He missed her. The room was filled with silence as everyone in class 1-A readied themselves. Suddenly, the silence was broken by an unexpected individual.

''Midoriya,'' The bi-coloured male spoke to the green-haired boy.

''Just so you know, I'm stronger than you.''

To add to the already silent room, there was a heavy atmosphere to make it uncomfortable and hard to breathe in. Katsuki scowled and looked down to the ground. He only wanted Mai to be safe and happy; he pitied her, to be frank.

***

The classes began to walk out onto the field one by one. Once all the classes were on the field Katsuki's brows furrowed, looking around for Mai. Then he saw her, she waved at Ochaco and Midoriya with a dazzling smile but quickly turned her eyes towards the Pro hero; Midnight who was on the stage. 

''Time for the player pledge!'' Midnight exclaimed sternly. 

Everyone went silent as they waited for further instructions. Well... Except for some perverted murmurs in the audience. Midnight whipped the air with her whip.

''Quiet everyone!''

''Representing the students is Katsuki Bakugou of class 1-A!'' 

Katsuki silently walked up to the stage casually, with his usual glare. He could hear words of hate from the students but he knew that they were all talk. 

''Kamakuro-san... Please don't say that.'' Katsuki could hear Mai's voice in the crowd. Instead, the brown-haired girl next to her gave her a piercing look and turned away. Something was different. Mai didn't shrug it off with a smile, she made a stern and focused expression that was new and different.

Katsuki shook off the unnecessary thoughts in his head and spoke as usual.

''I'll pledge... That I'll be number one.''

There were many people who expressed their hate, but he didn't care.

''Now, let's get started!'' Midnight announced as the words ''First game'' appeared on the screens.

''This year, the first game will be...''

On the giant screen behind her, it read ''Obstacle race''. Midnight began to explain the rules and how it was going to work. Katsuki listened intently as he snuck glances at Mai pulling her hands into a tight fist as she looked down.