10. A promise

Chris suddenly looked at me like I was pointing a gun at him. Like he doesn't want to answer. 

' its ok if you - '

' no I want to ' we were done with our foods and Chris offered to have a walk. We were walking hand in hand. 

" Our parents were business partners. They were friends too. That's how we became friends. '

' We were forced to attend business parties and I was always in a corner huddled with books and Alex in video games. And Nats in drinks which of course Alex helped with since they were dating '

' Alex never liked me neither did I. And Nats and me always connected in studies. We all three were forced to be with each other. But day by day we 3 connected. Alex used to save me from bullies. I used to prepare his notes. I used to sneak him in wen he comes fighting and couldn't go his home. And sometimes we both used to go and get drunk Natalie home. Everything was perfect until that day

" which day? "

" it was my Sixteenth birthday. A great celebration party was going in my mansion. It was alex who had planned every thing. He always loved to plan parties and all " i remember he planned that ball party too. 

" he was excited about my surprise but he said he will give me only after i my cake cutting. But little did we know that a very big surprise was awaited for us. If only I wasn't so stubborn that day nothing would've happened. If only i would've just cut the cake then he wouldn't have find. He wouldn't have hated me so much if only....."

" what happened chris. Tell me "

" i loved my dad the most. Even though he always was so keen in my grades and I hated him for that but i loved him too. I wanted him to be there wen i cut my cake. Fuck i was sixteen rose. Who wishes his dad presence just for a cake cutting. But maybe I wanted his attention so i did. Alex said he'll bring him. He went upstairs but 5 10 twenty minutes passed no one came. And then we heard a gunshot. Me my mom all relatives went upstairs and what we found shook me to the core. Alex mom was lying in cold blood. There was a bullet between her eyes. And there was a gun in his hand. None other than alex. "

" did he kill his mom? "

" i dont know but that's what we saw. "

" why? "

" becoz he found his mom sleeping around. And the person was none other than my dad. And next to her laid the body of my dad. The only person present there was Alex dad Rumours are  he killed them both. Rumours are his dad did. '

' what about your mom? '

' mom was shocked to the core. She first of all saw her husband with another woman. And secondly she saw the love of her life lying in pool of blood. She was numb for quite a time ' Chris was crying and I hugged him.

' what about you? Do you believe that?  Was it really true that your dad and his - ' I couldn't complete it.

" We saw with our own eyes. How couldn't we not believe. "

" Not everything you see and not everything you hear is true ".

' Does your mom believe it? ' coz a woman always know if her husband is cheating.

' yes she does ' then maybe they were in love. Love cannot be wrong but cheating can be. They might love each other

But I can't tell this to Chris.

' did you forgive your dad? Coz Nina cheated on you and you can't forgive her. Your dad did to your mom. So did you forgived him ' Chris was completely silent. Coz he himself don't know the answer about it. He himself doesn't know what to do.

Oh my poor baby. 

' Should I forgive him? ' he was so desperate to hear an answer from me. For someone to tell him that he should forgive him.

When he saw that I don't have an answer he continued ' why did he have to do this to me or mom. He was my role model. My idol. So perfect. Mom loved him so much then why someone else. If he would have just been loyal he would have been alive and everything would have been perfect '

' this is life Chris. Shit happens. No one is perfect. I'm sure there might be a reason that he fell out of love. What about Alex then? Didn't he went to prison? '

' He did. Just for some night. Then his dad bailed him out and took the blame on him. I'm sure he is still in prison '

Alex dad is in prison. Alex had no one from such an early age to be with him. No mom. No dad.

He saw her mom dying in front of him or maybe he killed her. No Alex cannot ever do that.

He hated me to the core and he can't kill me so that's his mom.

This was the reason Alex hated me so much. Coz he thought about me as a cheater. 

Just like his mom.

He was removing all her mom's anger on me.

' But why does Alex hate you? '

' After he came out of prison he isolated himself. But I wanted some answers. I wanted to know what exactly happened that day. But he hated me for whatever my dad did. He started hating me for what my dad did rose. How can he? '

' Chris ' we didn't knew we were sitting but this time he hugged me and cried so much ' what hurts the most is Nina was there with me and I opened my heart to her and she used my weakness on me. What hurts the most is I lost everything in a span of time. I lost my dad my brother and the love of my life too '

' how can he blame you for what your dad did '

' coz he is Alex. He never really has grown up yet.  Still the impulsive kid. Won't ever accept he's wrong '

God I have to do this thing for Chris. I have to bond this two brothers like before. Atleast this much I can give him. I have to know the bottom of the truth.

' yes you are right. ' I cupped his cheeks and looked him in his eyes so that he understand I mean each word ' I'm so proud of you Chris. I really am. You lost your dad and Alex lost his mom. You both lost a parent but unlike Alex you took it so sportingly and fought with it. You are so strong Chris. You suffered the same pain so many things in your life but you didn't grew up like Alex. I'm not saying Alex is bad. He might have gone through something we yet don't know but you are a really good person and I'm so thankful I have you ' and we kissed.

I don't know who initiated the kiss but we kissed. We kissed and kissed and we both were pouring out pain out in our Chris.

' one day everything will be normal and just like before. One day '

' one day ' he nodded in return.

I want to unite this brother's. I don't want to be another huddle in their life.

And I promise to make everything all right.

To dig all the truth from the dirt.

14th Feb 2019