17

|||||

|||||

Ashton was still seething twenty minutes later, still leant back into the seat as Deran drove around. She couldn't help but replay Smurf's words over and over in her mind, each time making her anger turn into sadness into longing. She sighed softly, unclenching her fists from where they sat in her lap; rubbing her palms over her jeans.

'Knowing that look on her face when she realised we were serious was beautiful, man,' Deran stated with a smirk on his lips; 'I'm gonna remember it the rest of my life.'

'Oh, man. I can't believe we did it,' Craig hit the dash a few times in celebration; 'No more sucking Mommy's dick!'

The Wright girl laughed, finally prying her eyes open to look up at the sky before she pushed herself up to sit properly.

'Equal partners at last,' Craig stated.

'You really think Baz and Pope are gonna let that happen?' Deran asked; 'No, man. They're just planning on being the new Smurf.'

'Not if we call bullshit.'

'No, see, we're just grunts to them, man. And the only way that's gonna change is if we start doing our own things, start coming up with our own ideas. Our own ideas, you know, like this yacht thing I've been thinking about. I'm telling you, really up our game, you know?'

'Yeah, man. I'm with you. Done.'

'You know what else we need to do?'

'What? Swing by Kenzo's and get some more coke?'

'We need to get J involved, not Baz. Say what you want, the kid's got balls. He's gotta be confused as shit right now. It's the perfect time to get in his head.'

'Well, how do we do that?'

Ashton leant forward and patted their shoulders, 'Well, for starters, you can try being nice to the kid.'

Craig looked at her, but she only laughed in reply; patted his shoulder again and sat back.

'So, we hitting up the beach or what? Heard out by the headlands good,' She suggested.

'Yeh, yeh, maybe,' Deran waved her off.

She shook her head, bouncing in her seat as he pulled into the service station.

'Fill her up, I'll get the food,' Deran instructed as he got out of the car.

Craig groaned but got out anyway, Ashton climbing into the back and out of the tail gate. She looked toward the building as Craig undid the cap over the tank, moving forward to tap his card to pay for the fuel, but it beeped; declined. He didn't say anything as he moved back to lean against the side of the car, letting out a huff as he tapped his phone to reply to Nicky.