8

||||||

||||||

Ashton shoved Deran as she laughed, walking along the beach with him and another girl from their old friend group. She readjusted her fingers around her old board she had at Deran's, her wetsuit already on her torso. The rest of their group, including Adrian, were waiting further up on the beach. They hadn't been home to Smurf's in a few days, nor had they seen anyone. And they didn't really care.

'Oh, shit,' Deran suddenly muttered.

'What?' She asked.

He motioned his head up to the marine rescue building, where Baz stood leaning against a pylon watching them.

'He called. What was I gonna say?' Their friend informed them.

She shook her head, changing their course as headed toward their older brother. Baz dropped down from the ledge, meeting them in the middle.

'Where the hell you two been?' He asked.

'Oh, I've been busy,' Deran stated.

'What's your excuse?'

'I'm part fish, can't spend too long out of the water or I might just shrivel up and die,' She smirked in amusement.

'Can't answer your phone?'

Deran sighed, 'Let me guess you caved, huh?'

'Smurf's right on this one. Running the small jobs on the side it ain't worth the risk. It's just not.'

'Pussies.'

'It's time to come home.'

'It's time. Oh, so Smurf says we can work again and we just jump right to it? What?'

'I know she's been riding you. I get it... I get that you want to punish her, but this whole routine is getting a little old, don't you think?'

'Nah, man. You know what? I'm done. I'm sick of her shit. I-I can't take it anymore... I'm sorry, man. I-I'm done.'

Deran left then, heading back over to their group as they waited patiently. The Wright girl watched him over her shoulder, sighing before she turned to follow after him.

'You don't always have to follow him, you know?' Baz grabbed her upper arm. 

'I know, but I'm just as sick of it as him. Besides, who else is gonna look out for is arse if you're all with Smurf?' She shook her head; 'Don't mention anything to Smurf... I would say that, but she's got you wrapped around her little finger. So, maybe ask her how Belize is this time of year?'

She snatched her arm back and walked away, jogging across the sand.

|||||