8 - "What if she sees the bruises?"

Venus's POV:

Seeing Noah get so angry was scary, but a good scary. He was angry because he wanted to protect me, not because he wanted to hurt me.

Russell's eyes met mine as he was on the ground with an angry look on his face. He stood up and walked up to Noah like he was ready to take him for a fight. I felt like I couldn't breathe, terrified of what might happen next.

I saw Russell ball up his fists and he went to punch Noah in the jaw, but Noah stopped him by grabbing the fist with his palm and twisting Russell's arm back, "Not today. Not ever."

Russell was getting frustrated and he tensed up before walking out and leaving, slamming the front door shut.

Noah watched him leave and then turned around to see me in a panic.

He came to me and wrapped his arms around me tightly, kissing the top of my head as he rubbed my back to help calm me down.

I cried onto his chest, letting out everything I was holding in before.

"Are you okay?" He said, pulling away slightly and moving his hands to cup my cheeks, wiping away my tears.

"Thanks to you," I snuggled, "Noah, if you didn't come back when you did, he might've hit me or ra—"

Noah crashed his lips on to mine, "What matters is that I did."

I nodded and rested my head back on his chest, "Thank you."

"Do you still wanna go to the parks today?" He asked, sweetly, still holding me.

"I feel like I have to otherwise my mom will think the foundation wasted their money on me coming on this trip with her." I frowned, pulling away from Noah.

"You know we have to tell her, right?" He said, putting his hands in his pockets as I walked over to sit on the air mattress.

"No, no, not today... We'll wait until the end of the trip. I don't want to create any more stress for her, promise me, Noah." I begged, scared to tell my mom and Ellorie about what just happened.

"What if she sees the bruises?" He pointed at my wrists, "Won't she recognize them anyway?"

"Noah." I gave him a look, wanting him to drop the subject.

"Alright." He put his arms up in surrender before grabbing the bag of stuff he got for me, "There's a toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush, hair ties, those pin things, some gum if you want it... Oh! And a key chain."

I smiled from ear to ear as I took the bag from him, "You didn't have to get all this, Noah... but thank you for being so sweet and considerate."

"Yeah, anytime." He smiled shyly.

"Look, Noah, don't be mad that I don't want to tell my mom, please?" I said, feeling guilty, "You don't know what it's like to have a mom that's constantly worried about you, watching your every move, keeping tabs on you, constantly having meetings with the school officials, breathing down your neck... But I do. That's what I deal with, alright? I don't want her doing that on this trip, not when she's finally starting to trust me again."

"You don't think I have issues with my parents sometimes?" He sounded offended, great. I sure am good with my words, huh?

"Noah, I didn't mean it like that," I sighed, tying my hair back with one of the hair ties he got for me, "I've just... Been through shit and I don't want to rehash old wounds."

"Right." He said with a frown and left to the living room.

"Noah!" I followed him, trying to get him out of his mood.