15 - "We were too good to be true."

Noah's POV:

After Venus told me to get lost, I went and rented a hotel room, just in case she changed her mind. I didn't want to bother her, but I was dying to hear from her. I want to stay in town long enough to be present at Judith's funeral. I feel like I owe it to her to be there, and if Venus throws me out of there too then so be it, but I want to at least try.

After getting to the hotel, I called my mom and told her everything. She didn't have much advice for me because of how difficult the situation is, but she told me not to give up on love.

I wanted to send Ellorie a text to see how everything was going now that they got settled in back home. When I saw Venus's Instagram post it hurt my heart. To know that she's grieving and is in pain with nobody to comfort her is killing me inside. I want to be there for her, I promised her mom I would be but she pushed me away so now I don't know what to do.

To: Ellorie
Hey how is everything going? I'm still in Dallas if you need anything.

I waited at least half an hour before getting a response, and it wasn't a pleasant one.

From: Ellorie
Everything has gone to shit. I have to go into foster care and Venus is living at the apartment on her own with no money to pay rent so she will probably end up homeless.

Foster care?! How is that even possible?! There's no way that Venus would let that happen, this doesn't make any sense to me.

I went online and tried finding Venus's address through whitepages and even paid a couple bucks to view the profile with her information because I desperately wanted to see her and offer my help.

I ordered an Uber and headed over to her apartment complex right away. I buzzed the door and heard the most angelic voice.

"Who is it?" She sounded so defeated.

"A friend." I said, hopeful that she'd let me up.

"What do you want, Noah?" She sighed heavily.

"Just to talk." I said and seconds after the door unlocked and I was able to go see her.

I wasn't going to get my hopes up because I know she isn't in any state of mind to have a relationship right now, but I just wanted to be there for support.

I knocked on her door and she opened the door hesitantly.

"Why are you still here?" She asked with a sad voice.

I could tell she had been crying and it broke my heart. I just wanted to hug her and hold her until she felt better.

"I didn't want to leave without us being on good terms." I explained hesitantly, not wanting to intrude on her life and make things worse.

"There's nothing left for us, Noah." She crosses her arms over her chest with no remorse in her eyes.

"Can we please just..." I gestured to ask her to let me inside.

"Fine." She rolled her eyes and allowed me into her lonely apartment.

We sat down on her couch and when I looked at her I could see how sad she was.

"I know you hate me, and I don't expect you to forgive me..." I started, but she wouldn't even look at me, "I thought I was doing the right thing. When I found your mom that day, she was on the phone with her doctor or something and then she told me everything. She asked me to promise her that I'd be there for you and that I wouldn't say anything. I didn't know what to do, Venus. What should I have done? I wish I could go back and change everything."