12 - "I love you, too."

Noah's POV:

It was four in the morning when my phone was ringing, my eyes shot open and I turned over to see Venus's picture on my phone, saying she was calling.

She wouldn't be calling at this hour unless it was an emergency.

It's happening. It's all happening.

I hesitantly answered, "Venus? You okay?"

"Noah!!" She was screaming through tears and I could hear sirens in the background.

"Venus, what's going on?!" I asked, starting to freak out more than I thought I would.

"Noah!! My mom, she—" Venus broke down on the other end of the line.

"Venus, talk to me!" I tried to help her calm down and think through it.

"Her cancer, Noah!!" She was crying hysterically, "She's dying!!"

"Venus..." I didn't know what to say. I was at a loss for words. I knew this was coming. I didn't know it would be this fast.

"Noah, what am I gonna do?!" She sounded so broken.

"What can I do? Tell me what to do to make this better." I sat up in bed, running my fingers through my hair, sweating.

"How soon can you get here?" She sounded so fragile, so weak, so unlike the Venus I knew.

"I'll buy a ticket onto the next flight to Dallas. Hang tight, Venus, alright? Hang on to your mom, hang on to Ellorie, hang on to everything you've got. I'm coming. I promise." I said as I rushed to my desk and flung my laptop open, looking for flights to Dallas.

"I love you, Noah." She blurted out in fear. I knew it was too soon, but part of me knew that I loved her too.

"I love you, too." I said before she ended the call.

I needed to get my shit together. She's gonna find out eventually that I knew all this time. I have to get my story straight. I hope her mom doesn't spill it before I can get there. Venus will hate me forever.

I found a flight that left today at 4:00pm and would arrive in Dallas around 7:00pm. I paid $600 because it was so last minute but I didn't care. I would do anything just to get to Venus.

I grabbed a small duffel bag that I could take as a carry on and started shoving clothes into it.

My sister must have heard all the noise because she came to my door and opened it slowly, "What are you doing?"

"I have to leave today, I need to see Venus. Her mom is dying." I tried to be short so I could focus on getting myself ready for the trip.

"Noah! Are you insane?!" She whisper-yelled, trying not to wake my parents down the hall, "Mom and dad would never let you fly there alone! Especially not for some girl you barely know!"

"Taylor!" I snapped, "I am 19 years old! I'm leaving for performing arts school in the fall that's all the way in California! I can make my own damn decisions and I don't need you watching over me like an eagle or something, seriously! Get your own fucking life and don't worry about mine!"

Taylor was silent and she went pale, I have never snapped at her like that and I feel terrible. We've always been really close and we hardly ever fight but I can't see anyone else's perspective but like right now. Venus is all that matters.

"Noah, I'm two years older than you and mom and dad didn't let me go to New York to visit my best friend from high school that they knew as if she were their daughter too..." her voice slowly faded as she backed out of my room and walked back to her own.