Intro/ Chapter 1

Breathless: Emily's Story

Book 1 in the Breathless Series

For Luz, who always fought for Alix

"The world has all kinds of rules for love, I say you gotta let it do what it does"

-Hunter Hayes

September 10- Emily Cavanaugh

I open my eyes and stretch in the morning sunlight, wondering what the day would bring, something good- something bad- I wasn't sure.

    I stand from my bed and walk across the room to my brother's bed, where my cheer uniform lay.

    Picking up my phone, I see a text from Emory, one of my only cousins. I smile, opening it.

Emory: Good morning, see you at school.

*   *   *   *   *

    I, standing with my friends Grace and Savannah, listen to Emory as he excuses himself. He walks towards a blonde I'd never seen before. I scrunch my eyebrows, our school seeing almost no new students.

    "When is tryouts?" Grace asks me, and I smile, looking back to my group of friends. Grace was the gymnast on the cheer squad, she did all the flips. She was also one of my closest friends, or as close as a friend could be without telling them any secrets.

    "When they usually are, Grace" I look at her. "At the end of this month"

"Ok" She answers as I see a familiar little black sporty beamer.

    "Is that Alice?" Even though we had no new students, we had our fair share of dropouts. "What is she doing here? She got kicked out a long time ago. God, she's horrid" Grace introduces my longest- I wouldn't like to say 'rival' because that's so ridiculous but- rival. Her passenger side door opens, I first see the Nikes before I see his impressive body and beautiful face.

I quirk an eyebrow. "He, however, is perfect" I look up his body again, fully appreciating it all. He had muscular legs covered in fit dark jeans, a tight t-shirt styled like a sweatshirt, and a wide set jaw. I couldn't tell completely but it looked as though he had beautiful blue eyes.

    "Have you ever seen him before?" Grace asks, just staring.

    "No, but I'd like to see him again-" I answer, not looking away either.

    "Yeah, maybe in bed with a lot less clothing" Says Savannah Martin, my second in command on the cheer squad, she was a bitch and kind of stupid- like really stupid- but she was pretty entertaining. We both look at her now, laughing.

    "What's going on over here?" I look over to find Emory.

    "I thought you were talking to..."

    "Avalon" He catches.

    "...Avalon" I repeat.

    "Well, I'm not anymore" He smiles.

    "Clearly" I scoff. "How'd it go?" He shrugs.

"She's nice" He answers vaguely, and I roll my eyes at how much of a guy he was.

    "Good"

    The bell ringing to let us know we had 15 minutes left to get inside and get to our classes, I turn, Emory walking with me.

    "Do you think this year will be more interesting than last year?" Asks Emory as we walk, and simply I shrug. Walking through the hall my shoulder bumps into a small but solid form. I turn seeing a dirty blonde looking back at me. Shaking her head, she rolls her eyes, scoffing as she looks forward.