Chapter 21

October 1- Emily

I walk down the steps, my stomach still feeling uneasy, but I shake my head and push the feeling away.

"Alix, can I talk to you?" I ask, walking down the steps to find Clarita and Jamie both home and sitting on the couch. That was weird, they were usually gone by now. "Uh, hey?" I look around. "Where is everybody?"

"My sisters took them to school so you can drive to school after we tell you the great news." Clarita says, and Jamie smiles at me.

"Great news?" I ask, slightly shaking my head.

"Your social worker found a place for you to stay until you turn 18-"

"And it's in town" Jamie finishes.

"Ok, where?" I ask, walking into the living room and sitting down on the loveseat they usually sat on.

"Michael James's house" My eyebrows jump with intrigue, they must not have known.

"My uncle?"

"I know, why didn't we think of it?" I scrunch my eyebrows. So, I finally found a place where I felt like I belonged and now I had to go to a place that always felt like a huge bubble of isolation.

"Wait, why the face?" They couldn't know or they'd try to find me somewhere else, somewhere that's probably out of town.

"Nothing, I just don't know how Emory will feel about that-"

"It was his idea and I'm guessing he talked his dad into it." I bite my lip, I guess I could have the Byrne kids over and they'd make it feel like home. And Alix.

"That sounds great" I force excitement.

"Awesome, we'll be moving your stuff this weekend." Jamie says and I stand, beginning to leave when Clarita calls my name. I turn and look at her.

"I still want you to get to know my sisters" I half smile, did this mean I was still allowed over? Then turn away, and leave the house. Turning on the car, I can't help but think last night was my last night with them and I didn't even spend it with them.

I avoid all of the Byrne kids until I can't, avoid Alix.

Sitting down beside her. She avoids my eyes.

"Alix" I begin, but people keep walking in, and walking by the table. And Alix pretends she can't hear me. I lean over and set a hand on her thigh. She moves her leg, so my arm falls and I just about fall with it. "Oh, come on" I call, but she ignores me. So instead, I just check out the outfit she'd put on today. She currently wears a dark grey pair of tight jogging pants, showing off her defined ass. My mouth drops open as I force myself to look up to find her wearing a black sweater with her last name on the back, but looking down, I scrunch my eyebrows, finding her feet planted into a pair of bright orange crocs.

"What the fuck is on your feet?" I ask, bursting out laughing as she tries her hardest to ignore me. I point, leaning over to stick my finger through one of the holes. "Oh, those are horrible, Alix" I laugh, wiping a tear. "Come on, I wasn't making fun" I smile, moving back as I watch her. "I should get used to you surprising me at every corner." She smiles, but doesn't look at me. So, I leave it at that, sure we'd talk later.

Day Three of Cheer Tryouts- Emily

"Hey, Grace?"

"Yeah?" She looks up from her clipboard.

"Do you think you can run things today? I don't feel up to it" She nods.

"Sure, just sit behind the table and write your notes there" I grab her hand, causing her to spin back around to look at me.