Chapter 30

9 Months Later

June 9- Alix

"Did you get the day off?" I ask Asher through the other end of the line.

"Of course I did" He remarks.

"Ok, well I'm taking Emily to the hospital at any time tomorrow. So, make sure you have your phone on"

"Why don't I just come over and we'll make a day out of it?" He asks over speaker and I look to Emily who sits rubbing her swollen belly in front of the window in her remodeled living room. She looks over, and shakes her head no.

In the last 8 months, Asher's turned into super nanny with YouTube and the internet aiding his crazy health cracks for pregnant women. He controlled the grocery list and dinner menu for months. We had recently had to yell at him to back off, and he had but we just really needed a little break from his rules.

"Emily will be sleeping, and I'll be getting our bags ready- if you want to help, get snacks for afterward and make sure there's lots of chocolate. I hear chocolate helps when you've lost a lot of blood." I try to help, but then Emily makes a face at the window and I frown at myself. Having said that she'd lose a lot of blood.

"Ok, any special requests of what chocolate?" He asks and I look to Emily.

"Almond joys!" Emily calls from across the room, and I smile.

"The queen says almond joys." I say, and he clears his throat.

"Good, then she'll get the protein from the almonds," He says and I roll my eyes.

"Get me gummy worms, will you baby bro?" I call across the line and he laughs.

"Sure thing, Lex" He laughs again. "I'd better go get the car seat ready" he says and I nod.

"Ok bye" I sigh, hanging up. We'd made him in charge of car seat because he had insisted on being in charge of something.

"And he's out of the building" I laugh, walking across the living room to sit behind Emily. She leans back to lay into me as we watch out the window. It was 11 at night, and that was the 20th call we'd received from Asher since dinner.

"Wanna watch cartoons?" Emily asks, and I smile. She said watching cartoons made the kicking subside a little.

"Tom and Jerry?" I ask, knowing she loved that most. It made her think of her brother.

"Of course" She says, sitting up long enough for me to throw the DVD into the player, turning on the TV.

I sit back down, wrapping my arms around her, setting a hand on her tummy, feeling the constant kicking in her belly calm to almost nothing as the theme song plays. I smile.

"Like magic" I tell her, but Emily's already fast asleep in my arms. I smile, closing my eyes as I fully enjoy the feel of my pregnant girlfriend in my arms. Probably being the last quiet night for a while. I open them again, looking out the window to the driveway, where I'd parked the Mercedes SUV Emily bought for the baby.

I'd parked it there in case we needed to leave fast.

* * * * *

Around 3 am, I wake up, checking my phone, seeing the time.

"Emily?" I call, after realizing she wasn't in my arms anymore.

"Alix!" She screams, and quickly I jump up, running for our bedroom.

"What's wrong?" I ask, seeing her sitting on the edge of her bed, holding her stomach.

"I came up her to-..." She stops, making a face, trying to breathe. And I quickly kneel in front of her. "change my clothes" She finishes, sighing as she relaxes a little. "but I think my contractions are getting closer together" She says, and I scrunch my eyebrows.