Chapter 14

September 24- 7:20 am- Emily

I pull up to the Byrne's house for the first time feeling a little happier than usual. Like I had made the right choice. My father would love Asher, I wouldn't have to explain to my friends why him, or why the same gender. He was a safe, and pretty hot choice.

"Hey, babe" Asher says, sliding into my seats as he leans across the seats, kissing me. I smile, kissing him back, but he quickly pulls away asking me if we still had our plans tonight.

"Of course" I tell him, hearing Alix as she slides into the back seat.

"On for what?" She asks, and my heart skips a beat. I clear my throat, looking away from her.

"The lacrosse game. Asher's picking me up" I tell her, starting the car, as Avalon get sin beside her.

"In whose car?" Avalon asks, as I drive away from the curb.

"Alix's" Asher answers, setting a hand on my thigh, and even though I wear tight skinny jeans, I can feel the oddly welcome warmth from his fingers. "As long as that's ok with you" He finishes, turning around in his seat. Avalon whispers something, but I couldn't make out what she'd said.

"Yeah, I guess that's fine, but who's going to take us?" She answers after a moment, and Avalon says, "We could ask Henry. He's still in town for a couple of days" They start talking to each other, too lowly for me to know what. I blush a little at the mention of Henry. Had Henry been anything like what I thought he was, or had he just done those things to help me be with Asher? I guess it didn't really matter.

*   *   *   *   *

Walking into the building, I can tell Avalon and Alix fall behind, but don't say anything. I'm sure they did it because they wanted to give me and Asher some time, before I go to class with Alix.

"Hey, guys, wait up!" Calls Alix, jogging to catch up with us. My hand, firmly being held by Asher's, starts to feel as though it's cramping. But since we were already to our first class, Asher doesn't say anything about me letting go.

"I'll see you at lunch?" He asks, and I nod, smiling. "Ok" He says, kissing me quickly before he walks off down the hall, his hands in his front jeans pockets.

"Why do you go to lacrosse games?" Alix begins, and I look at her as we walk towards the seats.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, you don't seem like the type to go to sporting events, you don't seem like you'd care"

"My cousin's on the team, and I do have a boyfriend on the team now, plus I'm a cheerleader" I finish and it seems to dawn on her.

"So, that's how you know those hot chicks so well?" She asks and I look at her now, something crossing over my mood. "I'm sorry," She blushes. "too much time spent with my brother" She laughs and I smile.

"It's ok, I'm sure they don't mind being called hot" I defend her random outburst and she smiles.

"You're not what I expected" She says, her eyes glowing into mine.

"What did you expect?" I ask, slightly biting my lip.

"Not this" She smiles, and I open my mouth to ask her more when our teacher walks in, telling us about the assignment for the day. But what Alix had said, made me wonder what people expected from me, what they thought. So, I found myself glancing back at her throughout class, as if I would look at her and just know what she'd meant.