Chapter 29

October 9- Emily

"Hey, gorgeous" Asher greets, seeing me pull my jeans on.

"Hi" I smile, stopping to lean on my tiptoes to kiss Asher. "You're early" I say, trying to zip my jeans but they won't close. I make a face and Asher follows my eyes.

"Are you showing a little?"

"Probably just bloating, I looked it up and it's very common during pregnancy." He gives me a face. "What? I can look things up too" He laughs, pulling something out of his pocket and kneeling in front of me. And in that moment I am unable to wonder what it'd be like to have Alix kneeling in front of me... For any number of reasons.

"Well, I know that and I also looked up a trick to do so that your pants can fit comfortably." He stretches out a fabric circle and loops it around my jeans button hole and attaches it to the button, then leans back and looks up at me. I move around a little.

"Feels good, where'd you learn that?"

"Youtube- ok, let's get to school" I laugh and follow him down the stairs. Asher picks up one of my flats and starts to grab my foot and put my shoe on. I laugh.

"What are you doing?"

"Helping you put your shoes on, I haven't looked it up but it can't be too good for a baby for you to bend over too often." I shake my head and let him put my shoes on me.

"Is that what I think it is?" I ask, mouth falling open.

"It's the car your uncle got me" Asher answers, sounding a little confused.

"A Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG" I run to the car, running my fingers along it as I walk to the back of it.

"Careful, the baby" He warns but I ignore him, looking at the sleep cosmo black.

"I always asked my dad for one- he always said no"

"This is cheaper than your car"

"That's why he said no- said I was worth more than this"

"Weird" I smile as Asher hugs me from behind. Trying not to think of Alix, but I couldn't help it. Alix was who made my heart race, and my palms sweaty. She made me want to look my very best and truly strut what I have. Stringing Asher along wasn't fair. Even if Alix didn't want me anymore, it wasn't fair to him.

* * * * *

"Emily, Emily, wait up!" I stop walking and turn.

"Yeah?" I ask Grace.

"How's the baby?" I give her a face, who told her? and does that mean that everyone knows? "Oh, wait, that's right, you didn't tell your best friend- if I even still am that" She shakes her head and starts walking away.

"Wait, Grace!" I grab her arm, turning her toward me. She stops and stares at me, question in her eyes. "Who told you?"

"Seriously?!" She scoffs, ripping her arm out of my grasp, stomping away, down the hall. I just stand there, staring as she walks away from me.

Strong arms hug me from behind. I force a smile.

"You're finally back" I frown a little, realizing it isn't Asher but Josh.

"Josh" He lets go and I turn toward him.

"Were you expecting someone else?"

"No" I answer too quickly, shaking my head.

"Congrats, by the way, on the baby- have you chosen a-"

"Who told you?"

"Savannah" He answers, confused. "she's telling everybody"