Chapter 7

September 17: Emily

"Get up, girls" Avalon gets up and I barely open my eyes.

"What's happening?" I ask, blinking away the morning light.

"Morning run" Avalon says, closing her door and changing.

"You can stay here and ride over with my mom since you don't have your stuff."

"I have it" I say, rubbing my eyes. "I always keep it in my car."

"Ok, hurry, Momma doesn't like to be held waiting... Not very patient, that woman." I laugh. Then get up and run down the steps and out to my car, when I come back in I hadn't realized I'd gone outside in my short shorts.

"I could get used to seeing you like this" Asher smiles at my short shorts, wrinkled shirt, and disheveled hair. "It's surprisingly hot" Alix comes down the stairs and I wait for her to say something about my shorts as well, but she says "Shut up Asher," Then she addresses me. "you may wanna change quickly Momma is almost ready" I nod, she seemed different since last night.

I pull on my nikes and run down the steps.

"I'm ready-"

"I told them to go ahead, since we're faster and can catch up." I nod to Avalon, so this was why she didn't have a problem keeping up with me a couple days ago.

"Where are we running?" I ask.

"To breakfast and then back."

"So, everyone goes?" I ask, thrill running through my body with the thought of Alix being there.

"Everyone except my mom... She likes her sleep. She'll join us later." I laugh, I know how she feels.

We catch up to Avalon's family and Jamie smiles at me.

"Do you run?"

"Usually by myself"

"By choice?"

"No"

"Well, you can run with us now if you want"

"Thank you" I smile, this family was amazing and I barely knew them. I look over and notice the little Asher looking at me, I wave at him and he smiles timidly, waving back.

"Well, I'm impressed." Jamie says.

"I was impressed when I first saw her-"

"Asher" Jamie scolds him.

We get to the food place and order and see Emory walk in the doors near our table. I look at him and quickly look away, pretending I hadn't seen him.

"Do you not like him?" I look at Alix.

"What would make you think that?-"

"Alix, that's her best friend-"

"Cousin" I correct Avalon and she looks surprised.

"You aren't gonna say 'hi' to him?"

"Why would I need to?" She looks taken aback. then just shrugs and goes back to eating. I look at Emory and he's not paying attention, he's at the counter ordering.

"So, is your friend staying over again, Avvie?" I didn't realize she was referring to Avalon until she answers her.

"Yeah"

"Can I have Alice over?" Alix asks, and I fight the sick feeling threatening to take over.

"Yes, but make sure she comes over by 5. Mom and I want to go to the movies."