Chapter 26

October 6- Emily

"Come on in, Emily" I walk in holding his book. Wishing I hadn't promised to go to therapy.

"I'm so sorry- I completely forgot to look at which stories reflect me."

"That's ok" he smiles genuinely. "I prepared some in case you couldn't"

"What's the first?" I sit down on the yellow chair.

"Hansel and Gretel"

"How so?"

"Well, they run away from their home thinking they don't really belong there, they try to leave a trail behind so they can figure out how to get back"

"But it's bread crumbs and birds eat it-" I nod, going along with his summary.

"Making it difficult to get back to where they belong. They have an amazing journey but they finally find their way home."

"And how does that connect to me?"

"Well, I've heard you've dated your fair amount of people." My mouth drops open. "I'm sorry, my daughter's a bit of a gossip" I scrunch my eyebrows.

"Who's your daughter?"

"Well, step daughter... Her name's Alice Chamberlin." Now my jaw's on the floor. I start to stand. So he was the man my ex stepmom was now married to. Alice had been my step-sister at some point. They may not have told him.

"Uh, excuse me, I have a doctor's appointment- I need to leave" I turn around, walking for the door.

"Emily, please sit down, I'm sorry" I push the door open and leave.

I couldn't escape my father, people would just keep popping up in my life.

*   *   *   *   *

"Your baby looks very healthy" I look to the screen trying to forget the cold jelly like liquid on my stomach. I watch my baby and smile. "It's a little early to see much but you look to be about 4 weeks pregnant" Wow, so all that puking was my child. I look back at the image, my baby looked to be barely anything but he or she was mine and she would have an amazing family and home. She or he won't have a family that's anything like mine. "I see your blood pressure is a little high. You're going to need to watch that or I'm gonna have to put you on bed rest at the end of this year." My eyes grow.

"Ok, I'll watch it" She gives me a paper towel to wipe my stomach and pulls out her folder of my medical records. Probably a lot of random bruises and broken bones.

"Well, let's make another appointment before you leave for me to check that blood pressure again"

"Ok, well I'm pretty much free anytime." She nods, clicking her pen.

"How about October 10th? That's next Tuesday"

"Perfect" I smile, pulling the gown back down.

"Well, you get back into your clothes and I'll see you next Tuesday" I smile back to her.

"Thank you, Dr. Holt" She leaves and I quickly pull my jeans and sweater back on. I was not looking forward to when I can't wear jeans.

I walk to the secretary ready to pay, pulling out my wallet.

"That was already covered"

"By-" I look to my left and see Emory walking toward me.

"I'm sorry I missed it. I paid if it makes it better, I tried but it was hard to make it when you didn't tell me the time." He smiles and I hug him.