Chapter 8

September 18- Emily

I wake up the next morning when Alix is struggling to get up from the couch.

"Sorry" I begin, my heart racing at the fact that her legs were touching mine. "Asher put Alice on Avalon's bed and I didn't really-" I begin to explain, glancing to Avalon's bed only long enough to notice she wasn't there.

"No, it's fine" Alix begins, as I look back to her. Struggling to get up, she sets her hand on my thigh sending a thrill up my spine, but quickly moves it, saying, "Sorry!"

"Emily, are you going on a run with us?- We're coming back for breakfast" I turn to Avalon as Alix quickly leaves the room, pulling on her shoes.

"No, I think I'm going to sleep longer-"

"Ok, you can go and sleep in my bed" I nod and she leaves quickly the way Alix had gone.

I get up and crawl into Avalon's bed pulling the covers over me. Asher walks past in his pajama pants and no shirt, 5 minutes after the front door closes. He smiles as he passes. Without control, I look down at his highly chiseled torso, and raise my eyebrows. I cuddle into Avalon's big, puffy blankets and wait for sleep to take over.

At some point Avalon's mom walks past the room.

"You didn't go on the run with them?" I sit up.

"No, I couldn't get to sleep last night"

"I have that problem sometimes." She nods. "So you're getting sleep now?"

"Trying but it's not working- I'm too awake"

"Wanna help make breakfast?" I could tell I brighten, it seemed like a family thing to do, make breakfast with mom.

"Sure!" I say, cheerful. She smiles and leaves the room. I get out of the bed and fix my short shorts and walk down the steps.

"Asher, you're helping too" She announces as she walks past the living room. He sets his iPhone down on the coffee table in front of the couch and stands, walking into the kitchen.

"Mom, she's a guest you can't put her to work."

"She's family, friends of the family are family, babe, and they can help. And you're definitely helping, two sets of hands will be better than one." I laugh at the thought of Asher helping with anything. He puts on an apron and I laugh again.

"What's so funny?" I shake my head.

"Nothing, it's just- I don't think pink is your color-" I answer and Clarita laughs as Asher's mouth drops open.

"Are you kidding? I rock pink" I shake my head "Everything is my color!"

"She's right, honey, pink isn't your color" He laughs along with us as she gets the food out and we begin putting everything together and she starts cooking it.

"So, Emily, tell me some stuff about you." She begins, sending a nervous thrill through my body. What do I share without her knowing too much.

"Well, I'm cheerleading captain, Emory is my cousin-"

"Avalon says you're very popular" Clarita says.

"I guess" I laugh and stir the eggs.

"Yeah, she's like the hottest girl in school." I look at him and Clarita doesn't scold him like Jamie would've, she just allows him to say it. I shake my head and continue with the food. It was funny that people I didn't know knew of me.

The family quickly came back from their run and grabbed their cups of orange juice Asher poured, the eggs I scrambled and cooked, and the rest; bacon, sausage, and bagels Clarita made.