Chapter 13

September 23- Emily

The next morning when I was waiting outside the Byrne house Asher comes out first, again. I unlock the doors to let Asher in.

"Hey" He greets, quietly, not making eye contact with me. I lean forward to look into his eyes, forcing him to look at me.

"Hi," I begin, "I'm sorry" I continue, straightening as he watches me. "I was cruel yesterday and that isn't fair" He just watches me, guarded.

"It's ok" He says slowly, and I half smile.

"It's not, let me make it up to you" I say and he brightens a little. "Take me to the lacrosse game on Friday" I suggest and he nods. "I can't sit with you, because I have to lead the cheerleaders."

"I'm also in it" He says slowly, and I nod.

"I forgot" I smile, and he nods.

"I think I can borrow Alix's car" He smiles.

"Great" I say, and he frowns.

"You realize people will have to see us together"

"That's the point, people will see that we're just friends and there isn't anything to worry about"

"Worry about what?" Avalon asks, opening the door.

"How do you always get front?" Alix asks, changing the subject, and I sigh, grateful.

"I come out first" He says, making Alix scoff.

"Just because I care about my appearance and you rush to throw your clothes and shoes on, and run out the door doesn't mean you have the right to the front seat.

"The front seat isn't really all that great, Alix" I chime in and she meets my eyes in the rearview mirror.

"Thank you" Avalon groans, looking out her window. I smile, breaking eye contact with Alix to drive.

In my and Alix's English class, my phone chimes loudly and I realize I hadn't turned off the sound. Usually we sat apart, but today they'd let us choose our seats.

"Who's that?" Alix asks, and I smile defensively.

"I don't know, I haven't looked at it." I pull out my phone, setting it behind my book. I bite my lip.

Asher: Moms said yes to me borrowing the car Friday.

I start to type back when my phone chimes again.

Henry: Can't wait to see you tonight

I frown, I hadn't completely forgotten about Henry's family thing.

Henry: Wear something nice

I hadn't even asked my dad, I didn't know what state he'd be in tonight. I sigh heavily and Alix looks at me.

"What has you stressing?" Alix asks and I think what it would feel like to just tell her everything that was on my mind. Tell her how I truly felt, or even just to let myself think about what I felt for her. But instead I force myself to Asher. I sigh.

"Nothing, just a test next period, I forgot to study for" I explain and she nods, not so convince but she didn't push it. So the rest of English passes quietly.

Walking to my table, I sit down with my lunch and start absentmindedly eating. Asher sits down across from me.

"Hi" I greet, biting my lip a little. It wasn't like I felt nothing for him. He was cute and so far he was very good at sex, and seemed like an ok option for a boyfriend. But at the same time, I didn't want to lead him on.