Chapter TwentyFive Opening Up

Nathan's POV

Despite how awesome the last few days have been, I was terrified. I just couldn’t hold back anymore. Brandon had me rethinking why I was keeping her at a distance. His story made me feel like I shouldn’t be wasting time with worry if I cared about her, or because of her dad’s trust in me, and most of all her trust.

I could take care of her. I had been somewhat doing so already. The fear of her losing interest also had my resolve breaking down and what she had said to me on Thanksgiving. I’m no fool she will, would have moved on if she felt it was hopeless; I couldn’t hold that against her. Still, I was afraid our happiness would cause drama amongst my, our enemies.

The pride that emanated off of me that first day where I didn’t have to be private bout it and was able to be a ‘boyfriend’ was astounding and hilarious. I thoroughly enjoyed the cruel, shocked, and best of all, jealous stares I had been receiving all week from Penny and James. I knew I shouldn’t provoke them, but it was my time to gloat. My caution about them was still there. Regardless, it was fun to pull Dawn into my lap and show her affection watching their reactions; it was a win-win for me.

We still didn’t tell her father we were together now, he was more cautious now about me, but I had not ruined his trust and I would not. At home was the hardest part since that was when we had the most privacy but we both resisted anything out of respect for her father. It was an unspoken rule. I still refused to let myself get carried away physically either. That would be special for the both of us when the time is right.

I was feeling a little apprehensive since my father had gone quiet lately. My mom was doing better but still afraid, and I have not heard from them most of the week. I would have to call her and get her into a home soon, when my dad wasn’t around. Maybe Greg could help me with that. Usually when my dad has gone quiet he has done something and in hiding or is planning on it.

My mom and dad didn’t know about Dawn at all, just that I lived with her. The only ones who did, and who could ruin it for me is Julian, Tim and Rob, though I was beginning to think Rob was not with them anymore as much as they thought. Whenever I saw them lurking around Rob always looked…uncomfortable.

Dawn was apprehensive too, about going to this party on the weekend. I kept trying to reassure her that it would be fine, I’ll be there and so will her friends, that she didn’t need to worry, let me do the worrying. She wasn’t completely convinced.

I smiled without realizing it as I had that thought. She was right doing this, being together openly, getting through these things together as a tea. It did feel better and seemed to ease the stress more. Maybe it wasn’t such a bad thing after all, which made me all the more afraid and to be with her, for all the things that could go wrong or get her hurt.

“What are you smiling about?” I looked up to see Dawn watching me with a sly smile on her pouty lips. I loved kissing those lips, they were succulent and sweet.

“Just a stray thought,” I leaned over and pecked her lips not wanting her to worry, as she always could tell when something was on my mind whether I opened up or not. Ah, yes always sweet like honey her lips were.

“I can’t believe I missed out on seeing you two finally get together,” Debra spoke then, rolling her eyes.

“You were there in spirit,” Dawn teased.

“Get a boyfriend and go out on a double date and I can replay it for you,” I said teasing her back .I wouldn’t mind a replay of the kiss Dawn and I shared either. Debra stuck her tongue out at me.

“So are we still going to the party?” Lily asked all business since Dawn has been trying to back out, but I had just convinced her last night, when we talked. Not alone in her bedroom was before her dad got home from work.