Chapter Eight

It's been a year since the blue cottage with the lavender door was filled with a joyous noise. Brooms, carpets, and various cycles lined the garage door while inside the clatter of dishes, passed with hands and magic, along with chatter and the sound of Placido Domingo vibrated through the walls. Comphidance watched seated by the corner of the bookshelf, with a cheese levitating in mid-air waiting for her mouth to open before it jumped in. She needed them happy; she needed them to say yes. Using her pendulum, she found each of them and they came, by manifestation, apparitions, brooms, carpet, cycle, and even the train; they were here. She knew they would at least hear her out but she hoped they would also agree to teach.

"Mami?"

Deep in thought, Comphidance had not heard Abigail's footsteps. "Mi Amor, come here," she exclaimed. She opened her mouth and let the cheese in, then tapped her lap for Abigail to sit.

Abigail rested her head against her mother's chest. "Who are these people?" she asked. Her eyes scanned the throne of adults she'd never seen before and spotted Mrs. Kenia. Before her mom could answer the first question, she asked another. "Is Tia here?"

"One question at a time, mi niña. First, I'm hoping all or most of these wise witches and allies will accept my job offer and second, yes."

Abigail squirmed out of her mother's lap.

"Over there," Comphidance said while pointing at the swinging kitchen door with her chin.

The small feet took off running, pushing past grown-ups twice her height. But before getting far, she pushed a piece of hair out of her eyes and turned around. "Good job, Mami." Then she was off and the polka dot pajamas and a puff of silver hair disappeared into the kitchen.

Leaving Comphidance to self-celebrate, she swung her arms up in the air and whispered, "Yay for me." She cleaned the crumbs off her skirt and gathered her courage. Giles this would be you, she thought. She disliked public speaking, but since Giles passing has had to do it more times than she cared to admit.

Clicking against the stem of a flute she stood from her chair in the corner brought everyone's eyes, and attention on her. Mierda, thought Comphidance as she walked towards the middle of the room. These are my sisters and my friends, and with that thought in mind, she allowed the heartfelt words to pour from inside. "I'm so happy to see each and every one of you here. It's been a while since my daughter and I have felt the warmth of friends surrounding us, and for that, I thank you from the bottom of my heart." Comphidance placed a hand over her heart and breathed. She hadn't expect to feel this emotional, but the love in this room moved her. "I have had a dream for quite some time, a dreamed that I hoped will heal our community, but I can't bring this dream to fruition alone, and it's why I've called upon you." She looked at each pair of eyes in the room. "Would you help me mold our magical young minds in the Classical Academy for the Occult Arts?"

Whispers rose into murmurs, and soon the walls vibrated with chatter once again, as each talked with their spirits or neighbor. "What do you mean?" asked Angela Torry. A librarian and unofficial keeper of records for witches passed. Her shined oxford shoes and pristine starch shirt and slacks always made her look put together.

Comphidance looked at her old friend and could only imagine how long her dreadlocks have gotten since her head wrap was more significant than she remembered. She noticed the small French-Creole divination guru standing beside her; a friend of a friend Madame Levine.

"This is very strange, no?" Whispered Levine to Angela.

Comphidance lifted her arms above the crowd. "The Queen has given me the buildings of what used to be the Notre Dame to create an academy for our magical youths."

The murmurs rose again.

Comphidance spoke above the chatter. "You, Angela with your years of experienced as a librarian and unofficial records keeping for Witches, would be the perfect fit for the History of Witchcraft position."

Angela's full lips spread into a smile. "Thank you, I would love to do it, and I have just the right person to assist me," she looked over to Madame Levine standing next to her.

"Merci, mon ami," whispered the cajun divination guru.

"I think she would be a wonderful addition, as the divination instructor, but yes, we can sort all this out afterward," said Comphidance. She turned her attention back to the crowd. "But friends, I need your help..."

"I can't," blurted Fawn, an Elf, Comphidance thought would be the perfect fit for the Potions professor position. "I'm sorry, Comphidance, but my children need me."

"This is for ALL the children," Kenia glared at the elf as she walked next to Comphidance.

Hearing her friend come to her aid, relieved her. "Thank you, Kenia," she whispered to her.

"I will help, with anything you need," Kenia told Comphidance, loud enough for the rest to hear.

"Thank you, Kenia, and Fawn, too," she gestured to the two ladies. "We need supportive parents, as well."

Comphidance continued, "Whether you do or don't, I am so happy to see you, and again thank you for being a part of this momentous occasion. Enjoy the food and drink. A journal with positions is floating around the room, if your name tints with green once you've written it next to the position, it means, you were the one I thought of for that post. If not, it's ok, please come see me." Hands reached across the room for the list while others headed for the door. She looked towards her empty corner of the room and retreated again. The smell of old leather-bound books and paper would calm her nerves. Comphidance gazed around the room, there was still enough here to run a school, she thought.