Chapter Three

JUNE 7, 2068, 12 YEARS IN THE PAST

The wind snaked through the cluster of old and new buildings of the Capital; the only city that survived the Revolution. While the rest of the world was too busy rebuilding after the attacks, New York City stood untouched and was baptized by the Queen as the Capital of the Global Union. Comphidance had an inkling the only reason the city survived was because of its major supporters, but she stayed out of politics and kept her opinion to herself.

Summer had started in this side of the Union, yet it was abnormally cold in this June day. Rain from the night before filled the potholes to the rim. The smell of leftover energy from the thunder and lighting impregnated the air, invigorating both Comphidance and Abigail as they walk through the streets.

Mud rings adorned her forehead, and others had splattered on her emerald green dress, but Abigail did not have a care in the world. Her two-size-too big rainbow boots found their way into every pothole filled with rainwater, to jump inside, for the mere pleasure of seeing the liquid fly. No one was safe around her, not if they will keep their precious facial art intact.

Comphidance looked on, amused. Ocean blue eyes, heart-shaped lips, and bushy eyebrows were her father's features. A lump settled in her throat when she pictured her husband's face.

A robust wind galloped from the eastern front straight towards them. The opulent gray buildings did nothing to stop it as it just snaked around them. Comphidance looked down at her daughter, shaking in anticipation. She felt the energy too. "Vamos a volar, mija?"

The excitement bubbling inside her stomach seemed to have closed her vocal cords, and she responded by raising her free arm.

Right before the wind touched Abigail's rainbow boots, Comphidance lifted her thirty-five-pound little girl, and let the wind do the rest.

Abigail hovered on the back of the current, like a surfer riding a wave. "Yippie! Look mom I'm flying like a real witch." Her silver hair whipped behind her while her emerald green dress plastered on her scrawny figure.

Everyone around them held on to their colorful hats and hoodies, fighting against the wind. The risk of their facial art going to waste because of wind and some rain was too high, and some had turned on their facial shields.

Not so with the two witches. Abigail's rainbow boots were the most fashion forward thing the ladies were wearing. The simplicity of their dress and unpainted faces made them an anomaly in a society filled with color, and eclectic fashion expression.

They faced the wind and rain, laughing at the chaos that enveloped them. The ladies needed this laugh, thought Comphidance. Giles' death brought an emptiness into their lives that they were still trying to fill.

Comphidance chuckled. "But you are a witch, mi brujita."

"Not like you, Mami," Abigail answered before falling back to the ground.

SPLAT

Comphidance's eyes sobered. She leaned down in front of her daughter and lifted her to her feet.

Abigail's chin trembled. "Daddy would have loved jumping in the puddles."

"Yes hunny, yes he would," said Comphidance. Her heart ached for the pain her daughter felt at the loss of her father. Be strong. She rested her chin on her daughter's head and let out some air.

She pulled Abigail in front of her. "Your father is looking at you right now and laughing so hard, just look at you," said Comphidance playfully pointing at the smudges of mud everywhere on Abigail.

"I look just like him, right Mami?"

"Si, Mija. You have the best of both worlds, looks from your father, your soul like mine."

"Yes!" said Abigail making an awkward fist bump.

"And what about my hair?" Abigail asked, holding up a limp silver strand from her head.

Comphidance had told her plenty of times, "It's been touched by the Goddess."

Abigail grabbed her skirt and swung side to side at the compliment.

"You are very special, my brujita."

"Why am I special Mami?"

"Because you are beautiful inside and out, of course, and you are bound to do great things."

Abigail stomped her feet on the slick concrete, stirring trapped electricity from her body and onto the water underneath her feet. While all her friends were practicing spells and making things float with their moms, she couldn't.

Comphidance tilted her head to one side. "What's wrong?"

"You never tell me."

"Tell you what?"

"What my powers are. I want to make things float by myself," said Abigail, with her cheeks red with frustration.

She shook her head. Her daughter's temper, much like her own was hard to control, but she needed to do so, or else Abigail will not learn everything she needed to. "You will in due time, first look in here," she said, tapping her heart. "It's not always about powers Abigail."

She crossed her arms in front of her. "I hated it when you talk like that."

"What did I tell you about that word, young lady?"

"Not to say it."

"Exactly, not again," she warned. Her tone told Abigail she meant business, and a tantrum or not, she could not be hateful or even utter those words. Its energy was too powerful and would always come back to the person who spoke it, three times fold.

"Perdon, Mami."

"All in due time, Mija, everything will come to you, in due time." She ruffled Abigail's hair. "Patience is a virtue," said Comphidance. It will be especially so for you.

 It will be especially so for you