Chapter Twenty-Four

Disembodied voices fill her mind as she drifts in and out of consciousness. The warmth of lasers whizzing past her and dead blue eyes boring through her soul, make Abigail jump out of bed. "NO!" she screams as her wild rage-filled eyes scan the room.

The sound of her daughter's screams causes Comphidance to run to her room. "Abigail?"

Abigail's head snaps toward her mom's voice. "Mom?" but then she remembers. This is the woman that has given her up for the Queen. She wouldn't even fight for her like Chrissy.

Comphidance rushed to Abigail with her arms open. "Mi niña, what happened to your eyes?"

But Abigail slapped her mother's hands away. "Don't touch me."

Comphidance skirted back pressing her hands to her chest. "I'm so sorry."

"What happened to the Marg?" Asked Abigail.

"They got what they deserved," said a toneless voice behind her.

Abigail's skin turned cold as she turns to look at the recipient of the voice.

Queen Marjorie stood distant in the corner, looking past her nose as if on a pedestal. Her emotionless honey-eyes bored through Abigail's as if she could see past her skin and into her soul.

Abigail shielded her eyes against the shimmer from the Queen's dress and crown. It was too much gold for her pupils to take in and whipped her head to look at her mother. "What the fuck is she doing here?"

"Abigail!" Comphidance said. "That is no way to address her royal highness."

Abigail spat. "She is a murderer, mother!"

Abigail gripped the edge of her bed so tight, her knuckles turned white. "She killed—" but she couldn't finish. She couldn't say Jenni's name, it will be too real once she said it. It will mean it really happened.

"I can't be here," Abigail said and jumped from the bed.

The Queen's guard jumped out the corner of the room and stood between her and the door.

"Really?!" screamed Abigail. She shook her head at her mother. "You have completely lost it!" Abigail raised her hands at the door, "PANTETIBUS!"

Comphidance's eyes glimmered with tears. "I bound your powers, mi niña."

Abigail shook her head. Her own mother made her helpless against this, this monster. Her knees weakened, and she walked back and fell on her bed.

The corner of the Queen's lips turned into a wicked smile.

"Please forgive me," said Comphidance reaching for her daughter's hand.

"I said, don't touch me!" said Abigail taking her hand away from her mother's grasp. She hated her! She couldn't believe there was a time in her life when she loved, no adored this woman.

"This way, you won't be able to cause any more trouble," said Comphidance.

"Then it would be nothing to you if I leave," Abigail said to the Queen. "With no powers, there is nothing I can do."

"You can't—" Comphidance started to say.

But the Queen interrupted her. "I will let you leave with an escort," she said, drowning out whatever Comphidance was about to say.

Abigail hung her head and thought of the bodies laying on the floor, of Jenni, Chrissy, and Coyote. "What happened to them?" she asked.

"They've been... detained," said the Queen with a voice so lifeless that it made Abigail wondered if there was even a soul in that shell.