Chapter Eleven

The crunch sound of her boots grinding against the charred land, made Comphidance lightened her footing afraid she may damage something salvageable underneath the rubble. The burnt eyes of a doll stared at her like a black-eyed child when she glanced at her boot. This was someone's favorite toy, she thought as she bent down to pick it up but her flesh sizzled at the touch and she dropped it.

Some fire, thought Comphidance. She took off her boots and spread her arms to the sky, letting her pupils go white in concentration. While other witches had power over one element, she'd mastered all of them and some. Her lips moved faster than humanly possible, using the same language and frequency as the Goddess, she communed with her, and ask to hold her powers for just a few to bring healing back to the land and its creatures. Upon her request, Comphidance heart warmed as the Goddess' eyes looked within for the intentions behind the request, and then she felt it. The flow of immense power from her heart all the way down to her fingertips. "And let it rain," she whispered, releasing electricity from her fingertips and onto the skies.

Although the sun was bright, and not a dark cloud was in place, they opened, and rain poured down on the scorched ground, giving it relieve. The steam rose as the spark of the fire, met the wetness of the storm, but at least the land healed. She gave a prayer of thanks and closed the spell. "Thank you, Mother."

"You are powerful, aren't you?"

The young witch had taken off her blanket and came to stand beside Comphidance. The too big for her shirt was wet from the rain and had slipped from her shoulder, revealing a protruding collar bone. When was the last time she'd eaten? "Yes, yes, I am."

She walked back and away from Comphidance but tripped on the hems of her pants and didn't get too far. "My mom told me not to trust women with lots of magic."

Comphidance stood right where she was at. She didn't want to scare off the young lady. "I can see why she would say that."

"She said that power always drowns even the sweetest of hearts."

That's a harsh thing to say to a kid. "Some, not all. Thankfully, there's been a change that would help with that. The Queen..." But Comphidance stopped when she noticed Anya flinched at the mention.

Her eyes widened as she took another step back.

"Um, she has given me permission to run a school for all magical creatures, where I along with other magnificent instructors, will teach how to use magic, responsibly," she said looking around the now wet ground, that was sprouting once again with grass, trees, and flowers.

Anya looked around and her shoulders relaxed a bit, but her eyes stayed alert as if she was ready to run any minute.

"I think you would be a perfect fit for the Academy."

"Why?"

"Because you would have known very little and we will be able to gauge the effectiveness of the work and teaching right away."

Anya scrounged her eyes. "So I will be the guinea pig?"

"I wouldn't say it that way, you would be our first student, and this may not mean much to you, but your work along with the professors will change the lives of generations to come from the Occult Community."

The young witch took a step forward. "And what classes will I be taking?"

"Divination..."

Anya scuffed at the idea.

"Well, Tech and Magic will be one of them. You see them over there?" she pointed at the Healers coming in and out of the medical tent. "They were picked because they graduated from the Tech & Magic course I gave them, which will be pretty much on par with the course in the Academy."

"Would I be able to heal people?"

"Yes, after you graduate from the required courses."

"I like that," whispered Anya.

Comphidance smiled.

Anya hadn't realized, she'd said it loud enough for the Matriarch to hear and when she noticed her fumble, her cheeks reddened in a way that only a Fire Witch could; dramatic. "I hate my cheeks."

"They are a gift from the Goddess," said Comphidance.

"The Goddess..." she mumbled. "My mom would read me stories about her. She's nice."

"Yes, she is."

"She never left us, even when everyone else did, she protected us."

"As she always will," said Comphidance. The nervous energy had left Anya, and she figured this will be the best time to ask. "I would like to invite you to my house."

Anya took a cautionary step back.

"You will be safe there, a roof over your head, food on the table, clothes...that fit and the classes, of course."

But the young witch was not buying it. Anya narrowed her eyes and pushed her full lips to one side while crossing her arms around her chest.

"I have a little girl, she's five, her name is Abigail, so you wouldn't be there by yourself."

Anya missed her baby sister. Her eyes burned at the memory. She nodded.

"Ok?" Comphidance shook her head shocked at the quick affirmation.

"Yes."

"Perfect!" she pushed her feet inside her boots and threw the traveling sands on the ground. She didn't want to give the skittish girl room to doubt. "Please," said Comphidance, extending her hand to the Fire Witch.

Anya unfolded her arms slowly. She looked at the sparkling sand and then Comphidance's hand before extending a shaky hand to the Matriarch.

PUFF