Chapter Nineteen

Abigail threw herself against the wall and flattened her back. She closed her eyes and prayed to disappear. The thought of the camouflage spell Ms. Celeste had done in casting class came to her mind. Why didn't I pay attention? She asked herself for the hundredth time.

She looked down at her dark clothing, envisioned her silver hair and black eyes and shook her head. She stood out like a sore thumb. There was no way of blending in without magic. She pulled her neck out and saw the Soldier running towards her.

"Here goes nothing," she said. Abigail stuck her foot out in front of her just in time for the Soldier to make contact with it.

The Soldier's steel toe boot collided with the top of Abigail's naked foot and sent an angry, sharp pain up her leg. "Fuck!" she screamed. She looked down at her foot and saw the top of it flushing mad red and begin to swell.

The Soldier lost his balance slightly, but the sight of Abigail made him fall straight to the ground. "Freak!" he said rubbing his back. His round eyes locked with Abigail's. With shaky hands, the Soldier lifted himself up from the ground.

"No you don't," said Abigail. She lifted her healthy foot in front of her and kicked him squarely in the sternum.

The Soldier's eyes bulged from his sockets as his head swung forward and then back, bouncing off the floor.

Abigail rushed back to the Soldier. "Are you ok?" She put her finger underneath his nose and felt the air from his breathing. Happy she had not killed him she turned around, and half hopped, half ran out of there.

Pew, pew.

She rolled her eyes back. "Great!" she said. Just what she needed

The searing sound of laser whizzed past her, one getting as close as her cheek. She reached for her burning cheek, "Shit, fuck!" she whispered angrily.

Against the pain in her foot, she ran faster. Luckily it seemed like her the Soldiers had not paid attention in class, barely missing her. Abigail opened her mouth and sucked in all the air she could take. Her heart felt like it will rip from her chest, but she couldn't afford to slow down.

The big voice bounced off the walls again:

INTRUDER

INTRUDER

I know! I'm leaving already, thought Abigail.

"Tyler, surveillance!" She heard someone say. Abigail didn't dare to look back, she was afraid she'd trip and get caught. No, straight ahead, you got this.

She reached the end of the hallway and hugged the walls again this time she turned right. She remembered a back entrance here. Abigail looked ahead and noticed the brown double metal doors, five feet in front. So close.

"I got her."

Abigail turned around. "Shouldn't you be laying down somewhere?"

The Soldier she tripped stood there. His arms crossed in front of him, with a hard smile on his face. He shook his head at her.

Abigail pursed her lips and takes off in a run. She's not fixing to stand still and get caught. But why is he not following me?

She extends her arms in front of her waiting to push the metal bar to open the doors. She rushes it in full force.

"Ahg!" Her wrists flip awkwardly, and she falls to the floor. She rubs her wrists and is surprised they are not broken.

A group of Soldiers had gathered at the start of the hallway. Along with the other, they pointed and gibed at Abigail.