Chapter Twenty-one

Tia could barely see the stairs in front of her, she didn't know if it was the grime that had lodged itself in her eyes or the number of tears she was holding as she blinked them away. "Get yourself together," she said to herself. Hushed whispers and gasps reached her ears. Tia peeled her gaze away from Abigail and looked at the pale eyes from the Marg. Each pair followed their step and the closer they got to the bottom, the louder their whispers got. She wished they would go away.

Click, click, click. Each light turned on as soon as Tia reached the bottom of the stairs. The LED illuminated the entryway and shined bright on the pale face.

"Boss?"

Tia jerked in the direction of the familiar voice; Hank. The dazed look in his eyes as he pushed his way through the horde told her he didn't know of his friend's plan.

"Take care of Bobby's body, make sure no one can find it," Coyote said, not bothering to stop.

Hank lifted his hands out on his side. "What?"

"I'm not repeating myself, Hank," Coyote said. His tone carried a ring of a threat.

A shorter man pushed through the horde and grabbed Hank's elbow. "Do as he says," he told him.

Tia's vision blurred again as a new round of tears pushed their way out. She blinked them away again. Everything will be alright, she told herself.

Coyote stopped in the middle of the intersection of two tunnels. One headed to his office, and the other Tia was not sure. He lifted his chin towards his office, "Jacky!" he said.

An older lady came rushing towards them. She had dark cloud-like hair with a mix of grays and faded hazel fay skin kissed with freckles. In a sea of pale skin and light eyes, this woman made Tia scratch her head.

"Here I am," she said. Jacky looked at Abigail and took the hand sanitizer out of her shirt pocket, squirt a decent amount in her hands, and went about checking the wounds.

Abigail moaned.

Tia whispered a prayer of thanks at the sound of her girlfriend talking.

Jacky's brows drew together at the sight of the wounds. She lifted her gaze and looked at Coyote. "Follow me, quickly."

Tia saw the look Jacky had given Coyote. She covered her mouth with her hands as her lips trembled. Keep it together! She followed them and willed her legs to keep up Coyote's long strides. They turned into the hallway Tia had not gone in before and after a few minutes reached an open space with nothing but an insulated bubble like-tent in the middle.

Jacky turned around and gave Tia a clenched smile that barely reached her eyes. "This is where you two stay," she said. She put her arms underneath Coyote's and scooped Abigail.

Tia reached for Jacky. "Will she be ok?"

Coyote grabbed Tia's shoulder. "Let her do her job," he told her.

Coyote looked at Jacky and nodded. "Go on, do your best."

Jacky nodded and disappeared into the bubble-like tent with Abigail.

Tia sucked in some air. Her head throbbed, her body ached, and she couldn't stay on her feet any longer. The floor moved away from her, threatening to disappear.

Coyote reached for Tia's elbow and kept her from dropping to the ground. "You need to sit down," he said.

"I'm ok," said Tia. She tried to shake his hand away, but she didn't have the strength for it. "I want to wait for Abigail here."