Chapter Fourteen

With her sight clouded with tears, the other senses took over as Abigail ran seeking comfort from her achy heart. It wasn't till her feet touched moss that she slowed and realized she had gotten off the path. She wiped her eyes with the back of her hand and looked around. Everything was green, not a house nor a human was in sight. She was lost.

"Are you lost little one?"

Abigail swirled. "Who's that?" she asked. Her knees trembled underneath her, but she widened her stance and tightened her fists.

"I'm just a tree behind you."

Her eyes narrowed when she saw it. It was like they had trapped a man inside the tree with his face reflected upon the trunk. "You can talk?"

"Yes, and you can hear me," he said, part of the trunk opened, revealing a smile.

"I can hear a lot of things."

"I know."

"Can you see me?" Abigail poked her tongue out.

A chuckle escaped the tree. "No, but I can feel your spirit."

Abigail scrounged her eyes. She's never met a tree that could talk before. She put her hand on her waist and survey it up close.

"Do you want to come inside, till someone finds you."

"You are not going to eat me?"

"No," he said, but he sensed her hesitation. "Put your hand on my trunk, and you will know the truth."

Abigail shuffled towards the tree slowly, her fingers itched to touch it, but she was afraid that he could be a bad guy and bite her hand. Taking a long and deep breath she reached with just her fingertips and when nothing happened, her whole hand. Visions of the tree's thoughts went from her hand into her mind, verifying everything he told her.

"Did you see?" the tree asked.

Abigail gasped and took her hand away. "Yes, why do they call you the Ancient One?"

"An old friend gave me the name many years ago."

"I don't like it." Abigail touched the tree again to learn more about the name, "But you do."

"Yes, I do. I think it suits me."

"My friend left for seven years. Can you be my friend?" she asked the tree.

"Of course," he said. "Come inside, your mother will find you soon."

Abigail yawned, she didn't know how long she ran, but she was tired, and the tree was so warm inside. The small hallowed hole opened into a large room with a caged beating heart in the middle. "What's that?" she asked.

"My nucleus; my life source where all my senses flow through," he said.

Abigail tilted her head to the side.

"It's like your heart, your eyes, your nose, and your hands but all in one," he explained.

"Oh," Abigail's lips formed an O, as she nodded. Once her curiosity was satisfied, she glanced around the room and felt giddy all over again. It was huge. "Can I play here?" She asked, raising her arms in the air and twirling like a ballerina.

The Ancient One chuckled. It's been a while since a child had graced his presence. "But of course, Abigail."

"Yippie!" Abigail danced and twirled to her heart's content inside the massive space. She already missed Tia and would have loved to share this with her, but she was happy to have found a new friend.

"Cariño?" Comphidance peeked her head inside the room and saw the flash of silver hair as her child ran, twirl and dance inside the Ancient One. She had meant to bring her here, but her duties as the Matriarch and everything that has happened absorbed all of her time.

Anya followed close behind, her eyes taking in the tree and the massive space with the same awe as Abigail.

Hearing her mother's voice she stopped. It only took her a second, to spot her mother's brown eyes. "Mami!" she screamed with joy and climbed on top of Comphidance.

Comphidance caught Abigail and placed her on her hip. The 5-year-old weighted so little but her legs were almost as long as hers. "I'm so happy you found him."

"You know the Ancient One?" Abigail asked.

The tree chuckled at the sound of Abigail's voice.

"We are old friends, you know," Comphidance winked, she shifted Abigail onto her other hip and put her free arm around Anya who had walked up next to her.

"Anya!" said Abigail, before jumping onto the new member of the family.

Abigail turned to look at the nucleus with her eyebrows drawn together. "You didn't tell me, my Mami was your friend."

"I knew she would be the one to tell you our story," said the Ancient One, his tone was somber.

"Sientense," said Comphidance. She patted for the two girls to sit next to her.

Anya brought Abigail down to the ground and sat behind her with Abigail's head resting on her chest.

Shadows danced around them when The Ancient One, calmed his beating heart. Comphidance waved her hand in front of her, and a scene played in front of them, like a movie. "Ready?"

Both Anya and Abigail nodded, delighted at what they might see.

Comphidance snapped her finger and allowed the memory from long ago play. It was not time to share her whole story, with her daughter, and she will fill in Anya when the time came, but for now, this was safe to show.