Chapter Four

The sound of boots coming from behind them made both turned around. Comphidance's eyes scanned the building they just passed: DETENTION CENTER. She should have gone another way, thought Comphidance. But it was too late, she put Abigail behind her as the burgundy camouflage of the Special Royal Forces came with the electric shields and face masks to stop all citizens from coming near them.

"Mami, what is that?" Abigail asked, pointing her finger at a Soldier.

"Don't," said Comphidance, pushing Abigail's finger down. "Never point unless you are casting."

Abigail scratched her head. "But I don't get to cast."

Comphidance shot Abigail a look.

"Ok... Mami." She looked down at her boots for a few minutes but curiosity tickled her in the back of her throat and she had to ask. "Who are they?"

Exhaling, she looked down at Abigail. "The Queen's special Soldiers."

"Why are they special?"

"Because they catch all the bad guys. All done with questions." The air around them was thick, Comphidance did not want to stay there, but it was too late, all traffic was stopped.

The Marg covered in mud marched from the Detention Center in a single file line, chains around their necks, hands, and ankles linked the men and women together. "Mira alla," she told her daughter pointing at the back.

"But why? Why can't I see?" Abigail whined.

She didn't want her to see The Marg, with their bright eyes like her own. She would ask too many questions. Questions which she was not ready to answer.

One man in the line stopped the procession, his blue eyes found Comphidance, "She's not who you think she is!" he yelled.

The nearest Soldier, reached behind him, pulling out his baton, and with a swipe armed the rod with electricity. He pushed it deep into the man's lower back, sending a pulse of electricity up and down his back.

Abigail turned at the smell of something burning. She covered her mouth with her hand, not wanting her mom to hear her gasping.

The man slithered in the wet asphalt in pain. "The Queen must die," he uttered before his face fell in a puddle of mud.

The Royal Special Forces had rehearsed for moments like this and have had plenty of practice. Their reaction was immediate and methodical. Unlink the man, lift him onto a stretched, collect the man in a death collection vehicle, pack the rest onto the transport bus, clean the street and vacate the area.

It was as if nothing had happened. Except they couldn't get rid of the smell of burnt skin; it lingered in the air. Comphidance knew the scent well, remembering her sisters that died by fire at the Salem witch trials.

The surrounding monitors blinked and pulled the residents out of the fixated trance the Marg caused. It was a change from the programmed advertisement to a special message from the Queen.

"Mami, Mami, look," said Abigail, careful not to point at the screen in front of them.

"That's our Queen, baby."

Abigail had never seen the Queen. This was her first time in the Capital and besides the dirtied people being hurt, she was enjoying it. "She's so pretty," said Abigail exhaling.

The memory of their time together reached Comphidance's mind, but she pushed it away just as quickly. "Yes, she is, and that's who we are on our way to see."

Abigail jumped with excitement. "A real-life Queen?!"

"Yes, baby."

Abigail pondered on this information. "Is she a Queen because she's pretty?"

Comphidance stopped and looked at her daughter. "No baby, she's the Queen because she gave everyone freedom and the chance at happiness and dignity."

"How did she do that?"

"By fighting for what is right."

"How do you know what's right?"

"Mija," Comphidance leaned down and tapped the place where her daughter's heartbeat. "You fill it here."

Abigail cocked her head to one side. She didn't feel much of anything there, except her heart beating.

"When your heart rises, and it scares you a little, but you know you must do it..."

"I haven't felt like that before, Mami."

Comphidance giggled. "You will hunny you will." She stood up and squeezed her daughter's hand before crossing the street.

The smell of burnt flesh disappeared once they put space between them. The Queen's musical voice continued on the monitor's and speakers surrounding the Capital. It was nothing new, something she had talked about time and time again; rehabilitating society. Inclusion, unity, and love for all kinds won the hearts and minds of the world, and it was what she continued to practice almost forty years after she'd won the world from a bunch businessmen, that fooled everyone into thinking they could lead. The world still remembers, which was why they continue to embrace her.

 The world still remembers, which was why they continue to embrace her