Chapter Five

"Mrs. Parris," said Han, one of the Queen's personal guard. The tall and muscular lady had been in the service for years. First, a Captain in the General's army, Marjorie, promoted her to head of her security upon her succession to the throne. A stickler for rules, Han never let her jet black hair go past her collar, and her no-nonsense stare made others rethink approaching her or the Queen. "The Queen is waiting for you."

"Thank you," said Comphidance. She had always liked Han and had come to know the warrior well, during her time with Marjorie.

The motion of their two bodies entering the History Hallway of the castle started the living mural.

Abigail's eyes widened in awe. She slowed her stride and took in history montage playing on the walls on each side. "Is that the Queen?" she asked her mom.

Comphidance looked on with nostalgia and pride, at the bit of magic she left behind on the castle. "Uh, yes. She just looks different now."

"Why?"

Of course, she would ask why. Comphidance scratched her head thinking of ways to describe the Royal Transfer to a five-year-old. "I'll explain when you are a little older."

"But Mom!" Abigail stomped her feet.

"Hey!" Comphidance pulled at her daughter's arm and turned her around. "Oh te calmas, oh te calmo?"

Abigail knew this was not a fight she would win. She stuck out her bottom lip and looked up at her mother doe-eyed.

"On your best behavior," warned Comphidance.

"Yes, Ma'am," said Abigail clasping her hands behind her back.

Han let them go up on their own in the lift.

DING

The doors slid open, and Abigail ran into the room, lifting her hands above her head and twirling in the middle of the enormous chamber. "Wow!"

The Queen's guard with unsheathed lasers surrounded Queen Marjorie.

Seeing the offensive posture of the guards, Comphidance raised her hands in front of her, "No!"

"Move!" said a cold musical voice from inside the circle. "How much of a threat is a little girl?" The Queen asked with a dry tone.

Against their training, the guards relaxed and opened their formation to allow the Queen freedom of movement once again.

Comphidance saw Ellie-Mae, the young witch from the Western Territory who volunteered her body for the world. Her high cheekbones, brown skin, and eyes were Marjorie now; the Queen. Comphidance shook her head, and let her mind and eyes adjust to the new vessel, seeing it now since the Royal Transfer was shocking.

Unbeknownst to the tension in the room and the turmoil between the Queen and her mother Abigail ran to the window that wrapped around the north side of the apartment. She plastered her nose and face against the missile-proof glass and look down at the lush, Queen's Park. "Wow!"

The one thing I asked, thought Comphidance shaking her head at her daughter.

The Queen barely made a sound when she moved, the rumor was, it was how she killed her enemies. "She's precious," she said, startling Comphidance when she approached her from behind. Her tone was cold, much the opposite of what one would hear with the word 'precious.'

"My manners," said Comphidance before bowing to the Queen. "Your Highness."

"That's unnecessary, between us," said Queen Marjorie. She put her hands on Comphidance's shoulders and gave an air kiss on each cheek. The facial art on her face was too elaborate to ruin. "I'm so sorry to hear about Giles."

Comphidance had been so shocked looking into Ellie-Mae's eyes that she had not noticed the blood red cloak and dress the Queen was wearing. It was Tuesday, and Tuesdays were red.

She thought, she would feel something from Marjorie's touch, but nothing. Comphidance thought she had fallen in love, but realized how wrong she was when she met Giles.

"Thank you," replied Comphidance. The mention of Giles made her eyes watered. He taught about true love, and most importantly, the existence of soul mates. It only took her 143 years.

"If there's anything, I can do..." The Queen trailed off with her cold musical tone.

Comphidance met the Queen's eyes and noticed the resemblance of sympathy there. "I accept your condolences."

"Mami, Mami, Mami!" Abigail jumped on her mother.

Her skin vibrated with excitement, as Comphidance balanced her daughter's feet on the floor. "No ves que estoy hablando?"

Abigail put her hand behind her back and turned side to side sheepishly. "Si, but..."

"But what?" asked Comphidance exasperated.

"I wanted to show you Mami," said Abigail tugging her mother towards the window. "This is the tallest building in the whole capital."

Marjorie watched in silent amusement. "I must correct you," she said.

Abigail stopped and turned around at the sound of the new voice. She had been too busy getting her mom's attention to notice the Queen.

"In the entire world," said Queen Marjorie.

She let go of her mother's hand and ambled towards the lady in red, narrowing her eyes the closer she got. "Are you the Queen?" she asked, stopping at a safe distance.

"Yes, I am."

"Where's your crown?"

"Abigail!" said Comphidance.

Marjorie smiled and kneeled down.

Abigail walked closer and stood mere inches from the Queen.

"I don't always wear it, it is just for special occasions."

The frizz in Abigail's hair had crinkled her strand and created a soft silver halo around her head. Satisfied with the answer, she leaned in, "Mami said she knows you."

The Queen chuckled to the surprise of everyone there. "That's correct."

"Then why you don't look like a grown-up?"

A muscle in the Queen's jaw twitched, and before she could say anything, Comphidance reached for her daughter in two strides and took her away. She felt the eyes of the guards burn against her back. "That's enough out of you," she said.

Abigail looked at her mother, not knowing what she had done.

"All this yapping you are doing, and you haven't even curtsy like I showed you," said Comphidance, hoping to derail her daughter's train of thought and questions.

Abigail pouted and as if it was the hardest thing in the world to do, bent her knees.

With the stealth that she's known for, the Queen got to her feet. There was not a twitch, or a muscle out of place in any part of her body, once again she was a mask of pleasantry and serenity. "That's a great curtsy," she told Abigail.

She loved her daughter's energy and curiosity, but at times, she wondered if she could control it long enough. Impulses were not the best thing for their kind. "Mi brujita," she whispered wistfully while looking at her daughter trying her best at Royal Courtesies and Protocol.

"Seeing as Giles has passed," the Queen said loud enough to gain Comphidance's attention. "I would like to offer you an opportunity."