Chapter Eighteen

Tia's eyebrows drew together, her lips pursed. "Wake up."

The concentration required to push her energy into manifesting had worn her down. Abigail rubbed her eyes awake. She opened one, immediately focusing on the lips she was dreaming of. "Am I dreaming?"

"No silly, get up," said Tia. "It's time."

Abigail jolted upright. Time. "I'm up."

"Grab your backpack," said Tia.

Abigail took the backpack and turned towards the entrance of the Ancient One. Her palm glowed and warmed when she placed it against the vibrating trunk. "Wish us luck," she whispered.

She sunk her toes into the warm soil and breathed in the clean air. Abigail tilted her chin and opened her dark eyes to the sky. The sun crawled onto the west, spreading an orange hue through the sky. It's departure brought shadows that mirrored the tall buildings in the city.

Her gaze drifted and landed on the shiny blue object a few feet in front of her. She walked over and reached her hands to caress the smooth metal. She looked over at Tia, raising one eyebrow, "Different bike?"

"Had to return the other one," she winked.

Abigail nodded. Beggars can't be choosy. She straddled the bike and squeezed the throttle. The engine came to life, vibrating between her legs. She looked at Tia and tapped the chair behind her.

Tia looked on to Abigail with a smirk plastered on her face. Her arms crossed in front of her, she walked to join Abigail on the bike.

Abigail handed the helmet to Tia.

Tia slid it over her head, she straddled the bike and pressed her breasts against Abigail's back. Let us live, she prayed to the Goddess.

With a glint in her eyes, Abigail looked towards the road and disappeared into the orange sunset.

The ride was smooth and quiet. The trees dispersed and gave way to the denser city air, and the chain link perimeter of Marshton Fort.

Abigail slowed the bike and turned into the predetermined position. They dismounted, and Abigail reached into the backpack for the cloak. She spread the material covering the whole bike. The mantle acted like a replicator and made a mirror image of the bushes in front. Only her and Tia would know the bike was there, no one else.

Tia looked at Abigail. "Follow me," she whispered.

Abigail clicked the waist strap of the backpack in place and stepped behind Tia. They hunched over a set of dense trees that overlooked the gate. They ran up to the thickest one and laid on the prone position behind it. They craned their necks and looked through the small space between the bushes. There were three guards, one checking cars and two inside eating.

Tia reached for a small rock and threw it. The rock landed beside the guard shack ricocheting off the wall.

The guard outside on the car lane jerked his head back and stared with an incredulous gaze towards the wall. "Who goes there," he yelled. A drip of sweat came down from the rim of his hat and slid down his blond sideburns.

The one inside with a mouth full of noodles, spurted, "Hey man go look." He rolled his chair closer to the door and kept a look out for cars.

Abigail heard them going back and forth. Something about not leaving his post unattended the other slurping and yelling. Finally, blond sideburns hobbled forward, his boots barely leaving the ground.
Tia threw a rock again. This time the air propelled her rock forward, splitting it into two.