Chapter Seven

Appearing as a kaleidoscope, the rays of the sun crept over the horizon, washing over the house at the end of Eclair road. The darkness faded, and then the light came. With revived vigor, Comphidance planted her feet on the hickory hardwood floor. The journal, she thought. Without making her bed, she headed to the attic where she was sure to find the old notebook from close to one hundred years ago when she thought ideas could heal the world.

She patted outside her room, careful not to wake Abigail. The old stairs of the attic creaked when she pulled them out. Comphidance stood still, waiting to hear Abigail moving inside her room. Nothing, she thought after a few minutes and climbed the steps into the dark and dusty attic.

The piles of journals were stacked against the far wall by decades. The '20s to the '60s were in neat piles against the wall, in front were two rows that took Comphidance all the way to current; 2060's. She had written the plan in the middle of the 1920s, which meant it would be on the furthest corner. Comphidance lifted her leg over each pile, afraid that bumping one, will cause a domino effect on all the journals, and worst, wake up Abigail.

"Where are you?" she whispered to herself. She wiped the spines of notebooks in the furthest pile, trying to remember the exact date of when she had written the journal entry. Comphidance gave a quick shake of her head, this will take a while. She slid beside the file, and plucked the books in order, flipping through the pages, hoping to resurrect the memory from long ago. Dust filled the air in no time, and her lungs were on fire when she reached the middle of the pile. I need a break, she thought but flipped the pages of one last book. "There you are," she exclaimed before a bout of cough overtook her happiness.

The sound of movement from the room beneath, caused her to sit still. "Abigail!" Comphidance tucked the book underneath her arm and headed to the ladder.

"Mami?" Abigail turned the knob to her bedroom door.

Comphidance slid the ladder into the door of the attic and snapped her fingers for a quick camouflage spell. "I'm here hunny," she said before Abigail's half-closed eyes tumbled outside her room.

With her arms outstretched, Abigail trudged towards her mother. "Mami, I dreamed of la Calavera."

Could it be? Comphidance scooped Abigail onto her hip and kissed the top of her head. "It's all right mama, I know just the thing to keep la Calavera away."

She carried Abigail down to the kitchen and laid her on the black countertop of her baby blue country kitchen. Next, to the magic room, this was her favorite place in the house. The chairs all mismatched had each a memory of her and Giles. A project of love she would call it, where he would build the chairs while she watched and took photos and later paint them. Comphidance rubbed her thumbs across the indentation of their initials and felt the distinct lump in her throat. Giles, how I miss you.

Looking at her daughter; her husband's mini-me, she knew she had a job to do. Soon they will be together, now she must get this little girl some rest. With the swiftness of someone who had worked at a restaurant kitchen before, Comphidance pulled everything she needed in seconds; a pot, water, freshly pruned herbs, and honey.

Steam rose from the pot, as Comphidance poured the tea into a rose color cup. "Amor?" she said, rubbing Abigail's back. "Drink this."

The lavender scent wafted up to her nose and woke Abigail. She opened her eyes and lifted herself up. Comphidance placed the cup against Abigail's lips, and she licked the trail of honey on the rim before tilting the container back.

"Ahi, mi brujita," whispered Comphidance, she hated to see her like this, tired and groggy. She scooped the small child into her arms and took her back to her room. After tucking the sheets underneath her chin, Comphidance grabbed the dream catcher on top of her headrest and tied another knot, she laid her hands over it and whispered a prayer to repel and guard.

Comphidance placed a kiss on Abigail's forehead. "Nothing but sweet dreams for you, Mija."

Stepping out her daughter's room, Comphidance was back on planning mode. This Academy will not create itself, she thought as she grabbed the journal from her room. Technically... she corrected herself as she thought of all spells she could use to make the Academy of her dreams, but what fun would that be? She wiped the thought away, and headed outside, where she could think better.

With the grass underneath her feet and few fairies swirling around, Comphidance opened the journal. This is perfect. The schedule with classes, lessons, even diagrams for the classrooms, every detail needed was in the notebook. The only thing she missed was names, but she hadn't lived long yet and hadn't met all the wonderful sisters and allies, she now knew. Let's find them, thought Comphidance, when she looked up her window to see her pendulum charging underneath the sun's rays.