Grief

"If Vegeta or Gohan were alive we could have done fusion." Goku said.

"Gohan isn't dead!" Mae snapped.

"Mae you know he's gone! You need to accept it." Goku told her.

"I can't." Mae dropped her head.

"You've always been able to feel him. If you can't now then it means he's gone." Piccolo said softly.

"What do I do?" Mae's voice cracked.

"We fight Majin Buu." Piccolo said.

Mae swallowed her sadness and looked at her father. "Explain this fusion."

"Well it's a merging technique performed between two people of similar size and power." Goku explained. "It makes it so one person can do what two people couldn't do alone."

"Piccolo, you did a merge with Nail didn't you?" Dende asked.

"Yea but he joined into my body. It was like I gained all his strength and wisdom." Piccolo said.

"That's the namekian fusion. This one is different, two people join together and form a whole new person with characteristics of both people." Goku continued. "Also this fusion is temporary. It only lasts about thirty minutes."

"Can't you and Mae fuse?" Krillin asked.

"I would rather die." Mae glared at him.

"It wouldn't work, she's too short. It only works with people of similar size." Goku said. "I don't think it would have worked out anyway. It takes about a week to learn and I'm only here for a day. Plus I've never actually done it since no one in the otherworld is similar enough to me."

"Hey I know!" Krillin exclaimed. "You are going back to otherworld. You could just fuse with Gohan or Vegeta when you get there."

"How will that help us?" Mae asked coldly. "What do we do with a dead fused person. It's not like he would be able to just zip back over here."

"Mae is right." Piccolo said. "Once Goku leaves he won't be able to return."

"Oh I guess I didn't think about that." Krillin deflated.

"What about the boys?" Mr. Popo said suddenly. "They are similar size and power, couldn't they do it?"

"Oh yea! That's a good idea!" Goku exclaimed. "I will do what I can while I'm here but after that I need you to train them, Mae."

"Me?" Mae asked startled. "I don't even know how to do this fusion thing."

"I'll teach you." Goku smiled. "I know you can train them."

"Fine." Mae sighed. "I'll do it."

"I think a lot of people are going to die." Krillin said sadly.

"I'm confident the boys can do this." Goku said. "Besides we can use the dragon balls to fix the damage."

At capsule corp Bulma and the others had gathered all seven dragon balls. "You remember what to say right?" Yamcha asked.

"Of course I do!" Bulma snapped at him.

"Okay so you mean to tell me a magical dragon is going to come out and revive all those people?" Videl was skeptical.

"Just watch." Chi-Chi said.

"Eternal dragon by your name I summon you forth, Shenron!" Bulma said and the sky went dark as the dragon emerged from the dragon balls.

"Huh why is it dark?" Krillin asked looking at the sky.

"Oh no! Bulma must have summoned Shenron!" Goku cried out.