10

"He wouldn't eat it. He won't take anything, he's just laying there. It's like he just gave up."
Veronica looked down at her feet, standing in front of her captain.
"I tried to encourage him, but he's changed since we last talked. He misses his sister."
"It's alright, I know you did all you could. You can go."
The woman nodded, and she looked at Shiro with sad eyes.
"He's fragile. Please be careful with his heart, because you already have it."
"What do you mean?"
"That man is in love with you Shiro. And I swear, he's lost so much because of it. Everyone on the atlas is mocking him for his sexuality. They keep calling him disgusting, saying he's a slut, that he just wants the power, that he's a distraction from what's important. A few guys yesterday ganged up on him and started harassing him in the hallway. And he just lets them, he never stands up for himself."
Shiro looked at Veronica as she stood in the doorway. She knew Curtis well, they worked together in the garrison sometimes.
"I'll take care of him, I promise."
— — —
Shiro knocked on Curtis's door, thinking of how to say this.
"Veronica, I'm not going to..."
He stopped as he saw the captain step through his door.
"Please, I don't want to talk right now."
He looked away, pulling his hands close to his chest.
"Why didn't you tell me that people were saying those things to you?"
"Didn't want to worry you."
Shiro knelt down next to Curtis' bed so he looked him in the eyes. He took his scarred hand and held it, rubbing comforting circles into his palm.
"You're worth the worry."
The brunette looked up, with striking blue eyes that were so beautiful yet so painful to see.
"That's not what everyone says."
"But that's what I say. And I love you."
Curtis' eyes widened, and his face went red.
"D-don't joke around with me please... it's not funny."
Shiro looked at him with the kindest eyes, and intertwined his fingers with the younger's.
"I'm not joking. I think you're beautiful, and I always want to around you. You make me happy, and I want the chance to make you happy too. I don't like it when people treat you like this, and I want to be the one to protect you. I hope it's not too forward, but I really would like to take care of you. If you'll let me."
Curtis looked up at him, tears welling up in his eyes. Butterflies flitted about in his chest, and for the first time in the past few days, he smiled.
"I'd like that."
"Then you need to eat something. I need you to be healthy, I've been worried about you all day."
"Ok, but I don't know how I would be trying to get to the cafeteria.
Shiro grinned, laughing a little. "I'll bring you something, what do you want?"
"I don't know... Mac and cheese?"
"Wait seriously?"
"What do you have against Mac and cheese?"
"Nothing, it's just funny that that's immediately what you wanted. Comfort food I guess."
"Yeah, something like that."
— — —
After Curtis ate, he sat and talked with Shiro for awhile. They talked about random things, the captain told stories about his time with Voltron. He offered to let the officer stay in his room that night, and he accepted.
Of course his medication knocked him out almost immediately, but this time Shiro laid down next to him, holding onto him until morning. When he woke up, the brunette was still asleep, curled up against his chest. He didn't want to wake him up, so he stayed with his arms wrapped around the other, watching his slow breathing. When Curtis eventually woke up, he snuggled into the other's chest.
"We gotta get up Curtis."
"Don't wanna..." he mumbled, his voice muffled as he pressed his face to the fabric of Shiro's shirt.
"Cmon, get up." Shiro sat up, which forced the younger to unlatch from him and burrow under the covers. When he finally got the man to get out of bed, he went to the bathroom to get ready and give  some privacy to change into his uniform. After he changed, Curtis walked into the bathroom and wrapped his arms around the captain's waist, breathing him in from behind as he pressed his face to Shiro's shoulder. The older smiled, and finished getting ready. He turned to face the brunette. And placed a small kiss on his forehead.
"Today, if anyone says anything to you, you tell me."
"Ok."
"You promise?"
"Yeah, I promise."