14. the heartbreaker's best friend

Coming to school with Kaden is the weirdest feeling ever. I feel like I don't belong by his side. Like I don't fit in with him and his friends.

With us nearing the entrance of the school, I slow my pace to fall further behind Kaden. I don't want people to stare.

I watch as Kaden walk ahead, not noticing that I'm not by his side. I let out a deep breath in relief.

Just when I thought he'll continue walking ahead, he stops and turn back to look at me with a confused expression on his face.

I pause in my track and watch as he walk back towards me. Oh no, what is he doing?

With a smirk etched on his face, he grab my hand and wrap his arm around my waist, gluing me to his side.

I got to say, I'm pretty surprised at his action. My heart just did a few backflips and it's the warmest feeling ever.

"I'm paying you to be my girlfriend so you should play your part. We have to act like we're real. If we convinced them then my mom will believe that our relationship is serious," he explained.

Oh.

My face drop from his words.

That's right. I keep forgetting. I should play my part. He is paying me after all.

Ignoring the sudden heavy weight on my chest, I walk along with him by his side through the hallways of Montrose. And to no surprise, it caught everyone's attention.

I don't know why. Something about Montrose's heartbreaker with a nobody girl by his side just screams crazy. I guess it's a rare sight for everyone to see.

Kaden, being the gentleman that he is - not, he walked me all the way to my first period class.

"See you later." He suddenly peck me on the cheek, taking me by surprise. I froze in my spot as he sent me a grin before walking away.

After he disappear into the corner, my eyes wander around to see if anyone saw. God, I hope not. Luckily, there's only a few students left in the hall so I hope they didn't notice.

With a deep breath, I enter the classroom and make my way to my unofficial official seat in the back of the class.

I take off my backpack and put it on my lap to take out my notebook and pen.

"Are you and Kaden really together?" A familiar voice ask from beside me. I look up to see Alec sitting on the seat to my right with a curious expression.

At the realization, I tense up and try to avoid his gaze.

"It's...complicated," I response.

Why is he talking to me all of a sudden?

"Well, let me know when it's not complicated anymore."

I turn to him. What?

He continues with a grin, "I think you're cute and would like to get to know you better."

I smile nervously in response and look away just in time for the teacher to show up and start lecturing.

Oh god.

My ex-crush just told me he thinks I'm cute.

I don't know if I should be happy or suspicious.

-

Ever since first period, Alec has been talking to me more than he's ever done in the past three years which is very suspicious of him. Why all of a sudden, now that I'm 'dating' his best friend, he talks to me?

"You should come to my party on Friday." Alec has been trying to convince me to go to his party for about 5 minutes now and all I'm trying to do is eat my lunch in peace.

"I'm not really a party type of girl," I tell him. I've never been to a party before and am kind of scared of it. Based on the rumors I've heard in the hallways, it's just not my kind of thing - getting drunk and being social.

"It'll be fun. Just come," he persist.

I take a deep breath in relief when I see Kaden coming towards us.

Thank god. Hopefully, Kaden will stop Alec from forcing me to go.

"What's up?" Kaden asks as he sit down next to me.

"I'm trying to convince Casey to go to my party on Friday but she won't go," Alec explain.

Kaden glance at me before turning back to Alec. "She shouldn't go. Casey doesn't seem like a party type of girl."

I shouldn't?

Somehow his response peaked my curiosity.

"Why not? I like parties," I lied.

"All I'm saying is, you don't seem like the type to drink, loosen up, and have fun," Kaden retorts.

This only makes me want to challenge him. "How would you know? You've never seen me drunk. My drunk self might be funnier than my normal self."

"Come on, you've never been to a party before. Why do you suddenly want to go now?" Kaden asks in an annoyed tone, pissing me off.

"It shouldn't matter to you if I want to go or not," I snap and grab my tray before leaving.

He's not even my real boyfriend. Even if he was, why should he get to say if I can go or not. I don't need his permission. If I want to go, I can go.

I don't know why I'm so worked up on this. I just don't understand why Kaden don't want me to go.

 I just don't understand why Kaden don't want me to go