scene 4

Jungwoo could have sworn his eyes had fluttered closed for no more than a second, but when he opened them, Johnny was already stopped at an iron gate, cheerfully chewing the few strands of grass that prevailed through the snow

"What is this place?" Jungwoo mumbled to himself, seemingly startling Johnny, who began to fidget uncomfortably. Jungwoo slipped off of the horses back with the grace of a skilled horseman, feeling the snow fall into his boots and pool around his feet.

"Steady boy," he cooed, running a hand along Johnny's neck.

As he took the few small steps to the gate, he stepped on something soft, and with a horrified gaze, he realized it was his fathers' hat. The accessory spiked more fear into his heart and with newfound vigor, Jungwoo swung the gate open like it was straw.

Jaemin and Renjun paused their argument when they heard the familiar rusty creak of the front gate, both rushing to lift the velvet curtains.

"Are you going to invite this stranger in for a cup of tea as well?" Renjun jabbed quietly, noticing the silhouette of yet another person who had stumbled across the castle in the frigid winter night.

"I was trying to be hospitable," Jaemin fired back, looking away from the scene outside to glare at Renjun. The other did the same, feeling the candlesticks eyes on him and the two engaged in a fierce scaring contest, broken only by the meek 'hello' that resounded throughout the house.

"Is anyone here? Father, are you here?" Jungwoo called out, unaware of the usually inanimate objects watching his every move.

Jisung ran to his mother from his vantage point at the top of the stairs, a giddy smile on his face.

"Mama, there's a boy here!"

Kun scoffed and shoved his wriggling boy into his bath that consisted mainly of dish soap and water.

"And? What about it, dear? We all know what master will do to him."

"He's different, Mama, I can feel it."

"I agree with the boy," Jeno said, making his first appearance since Maurice as he flowed through the room, pristine white feathers flowing behind him.

"See, I told ya!" Jisung stuck out his tongue at his mother, who shoved him back under the soapy water with a sarcastic smile.

"Papa?" Jungwoo asked the dreadfully empty space, hugging his body when a gust of wind circulated the house, painting a red hue across his pale cheeks.