Chapter 51: Test of Bravery

Carrie wandered around the base, exploring the places. She hasn't heard from Jago since Sue informed her of the mission. As she strolled past the training room, quick battle cries grabbed her attention.

Carrie stepped inside the room. The area was nearly bare, with a large blue mat hugging the floor. Kim Wu was at the center of the placemat, conducting her training session. She didn't spot Carrie until she did at the corner of her eye. Abruptly, the nunchaku smacked her on the head. She yelped as she stopped, placing her hand on the impact spot.

"Kim! Are you okay?" Carrie jogged towards her.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Oh, that hurt!"

"I'm sorry if I distracted you."

"No, no, that's okay."

"What happened?" Yeo said, detaching himself from Kim. After a quick inspection, he tried his best to contain his laughter.

"Don't you dare..." Kim scolded.

The Dragon Spirit couldn't hold it and let one out. He gained some composure while wiping a fake tear from his eye with his tail. "My apologies. Each time this happens, I can't help it." He blew a gentle breeze towards the impact spot, and the pain vanished. "Oh, Carrie, what a surprise."

Carrie stepped back slightly, avoiding eye contact.

"You don't have to fear him," Kim said.

"It's okay. I expected this. Perhaps a change of appearance might ease the mood."

A bright light enveloped Yeo as he changed into a man of Korean descent. He wore silk robes, and his eyes obtained cat-like slits. Thin rings of smoke puffed from an ivory pipe he held.

"How did you do that?" Carrie moved closer, studying Yeo in this form.

Yeo chuckled. "I am an Astral Being. It wasn't difficult for me to blend in with the humans."

"Are there more Astral Beings out there?"

"Used to. I'm one of the last free ones; Gargos slew most of them and stole their powers."

"Like what Pemba said..."

"Pardon?"

"When Pemba recused Jago and me, she told us how Gargos wanted an Heir. His followers wanted me to bear that monster's child."

"Whoa, time out! How old are you?" Kim said.

"S-Sixteen," Carrie replied.

"Oh, man..." Kim glided her hand through her hair, her red bangs returning to her forehead. "Did you get a memo about this, of Gargos wanting a kid, Yeo?"

"No, but this is disturbing. Then, it's time to recruit new allies. Our first trip is to Japan to find Hisako. You must convince her to join us in our quest to defeat the Shadow Lord."

"Two questions: who is Hisako, and why would she help us?"

"I've been thinking the same," Carrie added.

"Hisako was once a human named Chiharu, who died while defending her home. The Ichoriens found her spirit and turned her into a gatekeeper. Since then, she longs to destroy the Shadow Lord and his army," Yeo explained. "You've seen her once, Kim, when you faced Shadow Jago, remember?"

Kim reached into the pocket of her coat-like cape, revealing a red cloth. "How can I forget? I still like her style. I should grab my portal key-"

"Don't bother. I have a better idea." Yeo brought out a whitish-blue orb from his pocket, now floating in his right hand. "This is a soul shard-a fragment of the Ichoriens. With it, we can transport to our destination."