chapter eighteen; broken promises

Weeks had already passed along ever since Roger left to tour the states. Which although I missed him with all my heart, I was really happy for him. Only hearing from him ever so often, I knew he didn't have much time to spare to call me anymore. All the shows, the parties, then driving to a different city. I don't necessarily blame him. He must be really concentrated on bringing the people what they want, not to mention extremely tired from it all. It just hurts a bit knowing he promised it. And Roger doesn't seem like one to break promises, or so I thought.

"Morning, Aubrey."

I was greeted with yet another depressing phrase once I walked in to fulfill my morning shift at the coffee shop I worked at.

"Hi Joyce, I'm glad to see you too."

"Your painful sarcasm never gets old huh."

"Never."

The cafe was empty which gave me the perfect opportunity to snatch a freshly baked blueberry muffin. It's not like I could work on an empty stomach after all. Currently sat at the one of the tables, I felt the need to tell Joyce why I was feeling a bit down. It's just one of those things whenever you wear your heart on your sleeve. I needed to get it off of my chest.

"I've been feeling a bit blue if i'm being quite honest."

"And why's that?"

She said, flipping the cute wooden sign from 'closed' to now 'open.'

"Roger hasn't been calling lately. The last I heard from him was a week and a half ago."

Joyce stopped at her tracks, seeming a bit puzzled at my response.

"Aubrey! Don't be such a brat. You know he's busy touring around, playing shows, partying, and meeting new people, right?"

"Yeah I get it, I sound like a total fucking brat. But before you get your knickers in a twist, he's still my boyfriend. And he made a promise."

"Grow up, so what he made a promise. Quit being so selfish and accept the fact that he has a life of his own that sometimes won't include you, Aubrey."

Her snappy tone really took a tool on me. Tearing off my apron in utter anger, I say the words that I've been eager so say for months.

"Don't expect me to come back, I quit."

I knew there was more to my life then working in a half-assed cafe to make ends meet. No, I wasn't happy here. It was the time to find something that actually brought my happiness, and not just a paycheck at the end of the week. However time was running out, I had to figure out something before my next rent was due at the end of this month. Not to mention I had to find a way to feed myself and gas for the car.

Perhaps this was a golden opportunity to find something in music, my passion. Eager to tell Roger, I go as quickly as I could without going over the speed limit to make it home. I couldn't quite grasp that I had quit my job. Yes, it was an impulsive decision. But I knew I would be happier in the long run.

ew this was pretty bad I just wanted to get this part of the book over with. But nonetheless, next chapter will take place in America in Brian's point of view. Yes, Brian's. You'll see why.. 😈
Thanks for reading
till next time.