chapter twenty-six; in a year

As I rested my head on Roger's shoulder, I couldn't help myself but think of him differently. Yes in the inside, he was still the goofy Roger I had known him to be, but after everything, his presence felt different. Something had clearly changed.

"Aub, you know I still love you, right?"

"Yeah.."

While Roger and I sat in the empty white hall ways of the hospital, I nervously awaited our first ultrasound. I had also planned to tell my mom today, being one month in the pregnancy. Even though I already know her first reactions is going to be pure disappointment in me for following the same steps she'd taken. I wouldn't blame her for blaming me, after all I did take the same steps as her. Pregnant before graduating, still young. The deadbeat father part was still yet to be decided, whether Roger would still stick around with me or not.

"Aubrey and Roger?"

A woman in an all white nurses uniform asked, with a clipboard in hand. Her voice echoed through the hospital corridor since it was fairly quiet in there, aside from the ocasional telephone ringing sound.

"Yes."

I reply, Rogers hand still lightly gripping onto mine.

"My name is Lily and you can follow me right this way."

As she politely said, me and Roger followed the nurse down the hall to a little dark room. Once sat on the table, I stood quietly just looking at Roger, while the nurses from the hospital ran some tests. And for the whole time, a distant look of regret and sadness ran over Roger's face. I forgave him, and he knew that too. But it was the guilt that kept him up at night, I could tell. Everyone makes mistakes, including Roger. But I prayed that my mistake wouldn't be staying with the poor man.

Six months later

"Are you sure about this Rog? I still feel like we're missing something."

I frowned while reading over the instructions of the baby crib that Roger and I had just bought for the expecting bundle of joy. My legs and feet began to ache after only a few minutes standing up. Desperately rubbing my shoulders through my shirt, I was surprised by Roger bringing in two warm cups of tea.

"Maybe we should add a mini drum kit for the kiddo. Who knows? Maybe she'll turn out to be a rockstar just like her daddy."

Hearing Roger use the pronoun 'she' was still new to me as I always expected the baby to be a boy ever since I found out I was pregnant. Rog knew from the start that the little human would end up being a girl though.

"Yeah, who knows."

My life was currently treating me very well, given the fact that Roger invested the money he made from the tour to get us a little home in the heart of Kensington. A little place of our own. Two bedrooms two bathrooms with a delightful green house in the back for plants and such. It sucked being unemployed mainly because I felt useless for most of the time even I was at home. Although Roger reassured me that I just needed to focus on carrying a baby in my belly.

Post Roger's affair, he certainly stepped up his game. Treating me as if I was the queen herself, I understood that Roger still felt every once of regret in his bones, but nothing could be done now. Except leave the past in the past where it belong.

"Can I make you a ham sandwich or something? Are you hungry yet?"

Roger questioned, as if the fate of the world relied on solely my hunger. Sometimes, it seems a bit much. But given my Leo tendencies, I certainly enjoyed the attention I was being constantly given.

"No I'm still quite full from the breakfast you made us not too long ago, thanks for asking though babe."

"Alright, well.. just let me know when you get hungry. Freddie and Mary should be here soon to help set up the baby's room."

"Aw really!? I haven't seen Mary in a while, I've been missing her."

"Yeah I saw her at the studio not too long ago actually, she asked about you. She said she misses you too."

"Mary has always been so kind to me, her and Freddie."

"That makes both of us."

Once sat down in the rocking chair, I took a brief moment to sip my tea. It had been exactly one year since Roger and I met. And never in a million years would I have thought that our encounter at the bar would end up changing my life entirely. In the span of twelve whole months, I managed to meet the love of my life. And not get tired of him like I did my past lovers. Not to mention how I'm bringing a baby of our own into the world shortly. The best gift anyone could ask for.

"Roger."

"Yes Aubrey?"

"Thank you for everything."

"What do you mean, everything?"

"Like thank you for not leaving me by myself to carry this baby girl. And thank you for getting us a beautiful home here in Kensington."

"Don't be silly Aub, I'd never leave you."

I smiled while holding my hands on his shoulders.

"Yeah I know. But the house! It's so perfect. I don't think I could ever repay you."

"You don't ever have to repay me, come on now. Trust me, love, you and this baby is all I'll ever need.. maybe the car too."

We chuckled softly. I brought Roger into my arms. Hugging him ever so tightly, not willing to ever let go. I couldn't help myself but giggle at him. Because for the rest of eternity, I knew I couldn't ever stop loving Roger Meddows Taylor until the day I die.

authors note

Hey everyone! Sorry for the wait but here's another chapter for ya. I'd just like to let you know that this book will be coming to an end very shortly. However, I will be trying to consistently update my book Our Last Summer as often as I can once this book is complete. If you've made it this far, thank you for reading and thank you guys so much for 16k reads. I never ever expected this book to get read so many times and I'm so thankful you guys have been sticking around for so long. I really appreciate. Until next time! ❤️