CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

Innocent eyes are connected. Both wide with amazement and confusion. Why are they there? Neither of them knew. Both wanted to know but neither asked. They stayed at the backs of these two men's long legs. Hiding in shyness and in fear of nothing. Eyes peeking at each other until one gave out a smile. The other did as well and it all started there. There and there itself.

"Daddy, who's that man?" A faint question that a little boy asked, lisping with his young tongue. A Seoul's dialect being used so well. With his big wide eyes where innocence is overflowing together with its natural and young ignorance.

"A close friend, my son. A very close friend" the man's big and deep voice replied to the little man who's holding onto his hands.

"Is he the reason why we are here?" Another question spilled as the boy averted his eyes from the person beside him and to the clean roads of Yeongdo.

"Yes, yes son."

"If he's a close friend you must know a lot about him."

"Yes, of course."

"Then you must know that boy..."

"Boy? Who are you referring to exactly?"

"The little boy. The boy who looked like a rabbit"

The man had laughed because of the remark "Baby Carrot, you meant?"

"Carrot? Why carrot?"

"For he looked like a bunny..."

Sun kissed the mountains and had finally taken its setting. The moon and stars rose up and lead two pairs of eyes with memorable moments in their very little and innocent minds. Stars glinting and reflecting its shine into the black orbs of pure innocence.

"Is that why he doesn't speak? Because he's a bunny?"

"Are you referring to Jeon's son? Of course not, son. He's... He's just shy"

"Can we keep him?"

"Son... Jeon's son is not a pet. We can't keep him"

"But you said he's a bunny"

"For instance, I did not. I said, he looked like one"

Soon enough, the moon decided to take its turn. To take the sun's place and did as what the sun has done. Leaving the world into the sun lights of the burning circle. Leaving its stage and letting another one shine. Ending the darkness and letting the morning take its way.

"But I want him."

"Who?"

"Jeon's son. Carrot."

"Humans can't be owned by their fellow humans"

"Why?"

"Because they're not Gods"

"Do Gods own humans?"

"Maybe they do?"

"Then... I want to be a God. So I could keep your friend's son"

"Don't you think you are being... quite bossy?"

"No. That's final, Daddy. No buts"

And yet, two pair of eyes met again. This time bearing more happiness and excitement than confusion and questions. Both elated to see the other unknown boy. Both stringed with the last encounter. Both smiling and wanting to connect their fingers. Both wanting to hold hands and walk somewhere fun other than stay with these two old men, talking about things that they didn't understand.

And so, the little tiger had made his hands way. Too soft and benevolent. Too subtle and munificent with rectitude. The boy took the other's hand with a soft smile on his face. A rather new one for his father's eyes. Foreign for he had never seen his son smiling so sweetly and pliable for softness. He would often see him smiling proudly, almost boasting. But the smile that he had given to the little boy was just different. Alien to his orbs.