9: The Suzumoto's

It's been two days since I've been discharged from the hospital. I was able to rekindle my relationship with my father, brother and mother in law. I couldn't explain how happy I was, since the last thing I remember of a family was my horrid mother.

I just wish I could remember what happened.

I wish-

Ugh! A sudden sharp feeling surged through my head, sending me to my knees as I huffed in pain, clenching my eyes shut as I groaned.

"Y/n, you're okay..." My eyes widened. His familiar e/c eyes, soft smile, s/c skin that was beginning to wrinkle with age.

"F-Father...?" I breathed out shakily, my one arm trembling as I stepped back. I looked to Kaoru, who put a hand on my shoulder to calm me down, but sent a glare towards my dad.

"Why...why are you here?"

Gasping, I stood. Looking into the mirror, I wiped away the tear stains on my cheeks. Was that...I don't remember that happening? But it seems so clear. 

Shaking my head, I went to my closet. The Suzumoto's were coming over today to speak to me about Kairi, though I'm not sure why. If Kairi and I were friends, wouldn't she just come over herself? Maybe we had a fight or something. 

I pulled on some jean shorts, a f/c tank top and sandals. It was pretty warm out today, so I didn't feel the need to dress up too much.

My excitement peaked when I heard the doorbell ring. They had arrived! From what I can at least recall, I haven't seen the Suzumoto's in years! 

I rushed down the stairs, meeting Hunter at the door to let them in. 

"Miss L/n. Good morning." Hunter greeted as his hand reached for the door, opening it to reveal Mrs. Suzumoto. 

"Y/n. My dear, I'm so sorry to hear what happened." She frowned, walking in to give me a hug. I gladly accepted, pulling away from her. I stared into her eyes, which told different things. Sadness, heart break, sorrow, pity, even. I was a tad confused on why she looked so broken.

"Sit down, ladies, and I will fetch some tea." Hunter bowed, leading us to the family room. Mrs. Suzumoto took a seat on the couch across from me, folding her hands into her lap. That was when I had noticed she had brought along a small box. 

"Y/n. I...I don't know how to say this." She took a shaky breath. Hunter came in, handing her a cup of tea, which seemed to calm her just slightly. 

"I don't know how to say this, so I brought this box to kind of...show you." She set down her tea cup, and began to open the box. The first thing she pulled out was a newspaper, and on the front was a picture of Kairi. She leaned forward, handing the me paper with shaky hands.

"What's...this..." I unfolded the paper to read the whole story. 

And what I read, shattered my heart. A pain that for some reason, I seemed sort of used to.

"She's...dead?" The words fell from my mouth, as I looked up to her. She nodded, wiping a tear from her eye.

"It said she died saving..me?"

"She pushed you out from an oncoming car. Yes." 

"Oh my God." I handed back the newspaper, staring at my hands in disbelief. She then handed me the obituary from the funeral, as well as a journal.

"I've always wanted to give you this, but was rather afraid to. I found it in her room a little bit after her death."

I took a deep breath, and opened the journal. It was a little worn, but the first page had tears fall from my eyes and land onto the writings.

Dear Y/n.

I hope you've been well. I'm sorry about everything that happened, but I hope one day I can give you this to show you how bad I felt for leaving you behind. I hope to fill all the pages, and show you that I am still by your side.

My heart stung. She missed me, and kept up with me to see how I was doing?

"So, we did we become friends again?" I asked her mom, who nodded. 

"Yes, you had called her one day seeking advice. She rushed over so quickly, and was so happy to be able to speak to you again. All she ever talked about was being able to see you again." She smiled, looking up at the ceiling. 

"You made her truly happy, and she gave her life for you. I know she wouldn't have it any other way."

"You aren't upset with me?"

"No, dear. People tell me I should, but knowing that my daughter died a hero, is okay with me. I would give anything to have her back, but I know she wouldn't have it any other way. So, for that I am okay. And I could never be upset with you. You are like a daughter to me."

"Thank you." I sobbed, walking over to hug her. "Thank you for forgiving me."

"Deary." She stroked my hair, in an attempt to calm me down. 

"Oh, I have one more thing for you." She smiled, now handing me a small present from the box. I raised my brows, and took it. 

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

Nodding, I opened the box. Inside was a beautiful blue dress, one that someone would wear to a ball.

"The host club held a ball, and that was the dress you two picked out for her. I want you to have it. She never got to wear it, so I'm hoping you will find some point to wear it, for her." 

I had pulled out the fabric as she spoke, observing it. It was truly beautiful, and I could see Kairi loving it. She would have looked beautiful. 

"Thank you. Yes, I'll find some time to be able to show it off." 

She stood, pulling me into one last hug. "Thank you, sweetie. If you ever need anything, I am always there, okay? Just call if you need me."

"Thank you." She sniffled, and made her way out. I waved, looking at the dress once more.

"I really hope I can remember you, Kairi."