2.1 - Sorry

[Tobias Eaton]

It's 2:15 in the morning. I walk up to Evelyn's doorway, knocking twice. She's most likely sleeping. But I need to talk to her.

" Tobias? " Evelyn asks.

I'm shaking as I look at her.

" Good God, are you alright? " She asks.

A tear slips out of my eye.

" I know you left me 16 years ago. And I'll never forgive you for that, but I need you right now. " I say.

She cocks an eyebrow.

" What's happened? " She asks.

I shake my head, crying out.

" Marcus is Dead. " I say.

Marcus passed away earlier tonight. Right in front of me. And I actually mourned him.

"Sir, I'm sorry about your father."

I nodded, sitting silently. I was on the list for his next of kin seeing as he probably didn't know that Evelyn was really alive. I now owned everything he once did. I owned his business. I owned his house. I owned everything, no matter how much I expressed that didn't want it. So I gave it all to his players to sort out. His hand was still warm when I left. It was almost as if he was just sleeping. I've fought with people about death and how they express it as if it's just an eternal sleep. How they always say to a child when a person dies in front of them that the person is just sleeping. I understand why now. It's because that's what it looks like. It looks like they're just sleeping. And until its easier to explain, they will remain sleeping until an easier excuse comes into play.

"Sir, I'm gonna need you to leave now."

And I did. Not easily like I had expected, but I actually struggled to say goodbye. I never thought I would have mourned him, but I did.

[Beatrice Prior]

I sit on my bed at our hotel. They gave us a suite with a pullout couch and two queen beds. Caleb is sitting on the couch currently and my father is sitting in his bed, reading a newspaper. My mother brushes my hair and I listen as she hums quietly as she does so.

" I don't know how to feel, Mom. " I say.

The sighs.

" About Tobias? " She asks.

I nod. She stops brushing my hair.

" He just wanted us to be happy, Beatrice. He wasn't doing it out of spite. You know that. " She says.

I shake my head.

" He's called me dozens of times. He left three voicemails. What do I do? " I ask.

Caleb sits up, looking over at me with a shocked gaze.

" Bea, are you really even considering this? " He asks.

I cock an eyebrow.

" What? Why? " I ask.

He scoffs.

" I don't know, maybe its just the fact that Tobias came every day to check on you. To talk to us. To figure out any information that would pinpoint this guy. He loves you, Bea. You have to understand that. " He says.

I sit on the bed, heavy-hearted. I didn't know he still cared this much. It shows his dedication. It shows how genuinely polite he is.

" I'm gonna check my voicemail. Then we'll go from there. " I say.

They nod. I press play on the first message.

"Sorry, I can't make it to the phone right now. But, leave me a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Bye!"
"Hey, Tris. It's Tobias. You're currently in a coma at the hospital. The reason I'm calling you is because I miss you. And I want you to be okay. You're all I really have anymore. You're the only person I trust with my past, present, and future. The doctors don't think you're gonna wake up. But, until then, I'll see you later. I love you, Beatrice. So, for me? Just pull through this. For me."

I look at Caleb then my mother.

" See? He really loves you. You have to call him back. " My mother says.

I nod.

" I will. After these next two messages. " I say.

"Sorry, I can't make it to the phone right now. But, leave me a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Bye!"
"It's been almost a month since you were attacked. And you're still not waking up. The doctors think that if you ever do wake up, you won't remember anything. Even me. I don't want that to happen. Please, Tris. Please. Please just wake up."

Caleb's mouth hangs open.

" See? " He asks. " He wouldn't say that if he didn't love you as much as he does. "

I nod.

"Sorry, I can't make it to the phone right now. But, leave me a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Bye!"
"Tris... I understand that you're mad at me. I didn't mean to yell. And I'm sure you didn't either. You've got to trust me when I say I'm sorry. And that I was only trying to help your family. I love you, Tris. Come back, please."

I run my hand through my hair.

" It's almost 3:00 am. He's probably not even awake. " I say. " I'll just call him later. "

Caleb shoves my phone into my hand.

" Call him now. Or I'll call him myself. " He says.

I sigh, nodding.

" Okay, okay. I'll call him. " I say.

I dial his number, waiting patiently. It rings once. And again. And once more. Then, I hear a click. He answered.

"Tris..."
"Tobias? Are you alright?"
"No. I'm not."
"Are you... Drunk?"
"No, just tired and sad."
"What happened? Are you alright?"
"Marcus is dead, Tris."
"What? Are you serious?"
"He had Cancer. And before he died, he called me to say he was sorry."
"Sorry? Sorry for all that he did?"
"Yeah. And he said he was proud of me for saving you."
"I'm sorry, Tobias."
"Thank you."
"When can I see you again?"
"Soon. Not tomorrow. But, soon. I just need to be alone for a while."
"I understand. And Tobias?"
"Yeah, Tris?"
"I love you."
"I love you too. So. Damn. Much."

Do you believe me when I say that I love you, Tobias?
Of course, I do. Why wouldn't I?
I don't know. You just seem upset. And I wanted to reassure you that I love you.
I love you too, Tris. I'm just a little scared and upset.
I understand.
I'm scared for the future and how I'll react at his funeral.
Funeral?
Will you be my date? I don't think I can bare to go alone.
Of course.