3.2 - Back Home

[Beatrice Prior]

Tris, you're with room 202 until they leave in 10. We also have an ambulance coming in.

I nod.

" What room will they be in? " I ask, taking out a notebook.

My boss walks to room 325.

" Here. He needs immediate care. " He says.

I nod.

" You'll do one on one care. Easier on the patient rather than waiting for you. " He says.

I nod.

" Go get anything you think you'll need. They're coming in in a couple of minutes. " He says.

I nod. I walk to the supplies storage. I grab saline, a warm blanket, and a blood pressure cuff. The typical stuff. I'll see what I'm dealing with when they get here. I walk toward the room, spotting an officer standing outside of room 325. It's Uriah.

" Uriah? " I ask, walking even faster.

His face is pale, he's clammy and looks scared.

" What's going on. What are you doing here? " I ask.

He points to the closed door. I'm scared of what's behind it.

" I'll be out in a minute. I need to talk to you. " I say.

I walk in, eyeing Zeke, Max, Will, Shauna, and Peter. Why is he here? I set the items on the counter, grabbing gloves after using hand sanitizer. I haven't looked at the patient yet. Now, I have to. I'm terrified of who or what I'll see. I'm scared that this person will die on me. I can't let that happen. I turn around, spotting the patient laying shirtless on the table. It's a man. On his ribs is a tattoo of flames. I look at his face. He has a chiseled jaw. His eyes are dark-blue-almost-black. It's Tobias. My Tobias. He's back. He's safe.

" Tobias! " I exclaim, running over.

He's breathing rapidly. I look at his chest. On his left pectoral, there's a brand in the shape of an M. All over his chest and shoulders are gashes from a whip of some sort.

" Oh my God, what happened? " I ask, looking at Zeke.

He is also pale. He stays quiet. Peter begins to talk. Then so does everyone. My head begins to spin. I can't work like this.

" Peter, I want you to leave. You're starting drama I can't afford right now. " I say.

He looks at Max. He stands, exciting the room. I step out of the room, approaching my boss.

" Doug? " I ask.

He turns around, looking at me.

" Yeah, Tris? " He asks.

I motion for him to follow.

" I need your help. " I say.

I open the door, exposing Tobias to him. He gasps.

" Oh my God. Let's get him some pain meds, help stop the pain. We'll go from there. " He says.