3.3 - Charges

[Tobias Eaton]

Tris helps me walk inside. I spot everyone staring at me. I avert my gaze. My heart rate begins to accelerate. Tris stops, stepping in front of me.

" Hey, hey. Look at me. " She says. " Forget about them. It's just you and me. "

I nod. She kisses me quickly. I sigh. We walk towards Zeke.

" How are you? " Zeke asks.

I shake my head, shrugging.

" Not too great, man. " I say.

The gashes on my ribs rub against the fabric of my shirt, causing me to wince.

" They're in the questioning room. " He says.

I nod. I let go of Tris' hand, approaching the questioning room. Zeke opens the door and I enter the room. Richard and Michael sit next to each other. Zeke sits across from them and I stand.

" Hey, Richard. " I say.

He nods, humming to me.

" Can I just ask why you decided to Abduct me? " I ask.

He shakes his head.

" I'm not talking to you without my Lawyer. " He says. " And neither is Michael. "

I shrug, easing my way into the seat, wincing as I do so.

" You know a lawyer isn't gonna do much for you here. Sure, we can get one in, but we're offering you a plea deal for a minimum of 25 years, maximum of 30. Doesn't that mean anything to you? " I ask. " It's better than what was offered for your son. He will spend the rest of his life in prison and possibly go to death row for two attempted murder charges. "

He looks up, glaring at me.

" Don't you dare talk about my son! He will rot away because of you. " He exclaims.

I shake my head.

" No, not because of me. Your son will rot away because of his actions against Beatrice Prior. " I state.

He reaches forward, his hands outstretched like he's trying to strangle me.

" Go ahead and try it, Richard. You can't touch me. " I state.

I look away from him, down at Michael.

" You're young. And innocent. How'd you get caught up in this mess? " I ask.

He shrugs, looking at Richard.

" Don't answer that, Michael. Our lawyer isn't here yet. " He says.

I shake my head.

" No, I want him to answer. Besides, he's not the one I'm charging. " I say.

Richard looks up.

" Now, Michael. You can talk. Don't worry about him. " I say.

Michael nods, sitting up straight. Their chairs are far enough away from each other that he could stand up and be beside me if Richard were to try another attack.

" My father would beat me if I didn't comply. I didn't want to help them in the other attacks but I didn't have any choice. " He says.

I nod.

" I understand. Mine used to as well. " I say.

He bites his lip, looking down at his hands.

" I have scars on my back from the gashes from his belt. And to avoid the beatings, I would do as he said. " He says.